Why are all of the Traditional Martial Artists so opposed to martial sports?

muaythaiguy2

Dec 4, 2010
This was one of the most ignorant and arrogant questions I've ever seen

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjB_8vLFWgSzppJWeMusn1Psy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20101214101046AA6geaR

"It is obvious (or should be) that things played as sports, like baseball, BJJ, polo, MMA, tennis etc., are not for defence or protection."

"They are games people play for fun! Martial arts are for protection."

"isn't there more to defence than hitting people, or performing a dumb arm-bar?"

"So if I can hit and armbar I need no more training...damn it took over 40 years to learn that....thanks!"

Do you actually agree with this stuff? All it sounds like is bashing to me. BJJ is a martial art, a combat sport, and a self defense system. As a matter of fact I've had a lot more positive experiences with BJJ then with Taekwondo or trying out Karate.
They all whine about how arrogant the people who train in MMA, Muay Thai, and BJJ are, but they are sounding just as ignorant to me and I'm tired of it.

they are for defense but the sport is where it can work properly i did muay thai for awhile but after an operation and unemployment i could not afford it or continue i will when i get work again. because it gave me some confidence and a chance to fight with out breaking any laws. and if i were to get into a fight i would have at least some thing instead of swinging my arms lol

Well, I think there needs to be a clear separation between something like soccer (a game for fun) and a martial art such as karate.

Martial arts aren't just about applying it in practice, they're also about learning discipline and physical strength. It is often about being *able* to do something, not about actually doing it to someone. Martial arts are much more formal and traditional than a casual sport is where you play a game, but that doesn't mean there can't be competitions or that you can't enjoy doing it without ever using it to actually defend yourself.

If you're purely looking to defend yourself, then you shouldn't pick a traditional martial art. You shouldn't pick a traditional martial art if the only thing you're looking for is a fun sport, either. However, both of those are part of traditional martial arts and if you're willing to do the discipline, formality, and traditions then it may be right for you. Trying to argue that this or that style/sport is better than another is kind of silly.

This question is no better.

I consider myself a Traditionalist. I'm not a fan of combat sports, and frankly view them as a decline of a civilization – an amusement funded to distract the masses while Rome crumbles around them.

However, as you can read in my answer to Jim R's question, I don't view them as necessarily distinct. What is important isn't what you train in, but how you train in it. Further, if your thing is sports, do it. If your thing is lining up and doing kata till the cows come home, do it. Life is short, then you die. But getting snotty because you don't agree with the asker just makes you come across sounding like an immature teen.

Take it as what it is: an opinion, like every other comment made here. Then, let it go, move on with what makes you happy, and train.

Back