Why am I having such a hard time with this group of Metalheads when showing my...

S

Someone

...music. They don't like it? Theres this group of Metalheads in my school that I'm friends with and whenever I try to show them mainstream bands that are Alternative Rock,Hardcore,Emo, or Scene bands they end up never liking it. While they're listening they get bored, and when they hear other people's music they end up yawning and unimpressed when people say they like the music but they end up never liking it. But when I ask them what bands they listen to they just say "I can't tell you because underground Metal bands are hidden treasures, and us true Metalheads are trying to keep the genre alive, because mainstream and popularity ruins everything."

I have even tried recommending them Bring Me The Horizon, the Devil Wears Prada and they say they don't like that type of music saying its weak for them, and they say they are only looking for true talent. Their music sounds cool, but they will never tell the Undergrounds bands, only some bands that everyone knows.

Why is this?
This small group doesn't like any mainstream music, or music that anyone likes, or anything "whiny" to them, or "too repetitive" instruments, or the "emo, and scene vocals." I have noticed that when I heard their underground Metal band's songs that they didn't show me the name, the vocals sounded weird and crazy that I couldn't understand a word at all, unlike the others I have listened to also.

First of all, I was one of this kind of people and i'm a musician. I thought metal was the highest of all music. I wasn't give a damn about mainstream music. yeah..metal headers are egoistic music fans. But I've come across one point where I realized that what i really love is music..i shouldn't just stick to one genre if i want to extend my music playing abilities. I hardly force myself to listen to mainstream music and learn how to play as their sounds. And surprisingly i figured out that there are so much skills and style of music that i have missed..of which are good ones. I thought the mainstream musicians are just a bunch of rock wannabes and their music are not good because they dont have the 'soul' and 'art' of sort of appreciating music (that is what most metal heads stand for..they think they appreciate music more than other people do) But later on i realized, im also just like them mainstream musician..we are here to break free, to share our music to and extended level..not just within underground..because in our music, we are bringing along messages, thoughts, ideas, criticisms, hate, love, and so much more, and we should carry them to the most possible level where we can spread them to everyone..that is what a love of music should look like.

Just remember, this kind of guys still dwelling in their ideas of their music is better than anyone's and they think they are the ones who appreciate music the most. Just prove to em they are wrong, and stick to what you believe in music.

because what you "recommend" them isn't metal. it's hardcore/screamo crap. metalheads prefer real metal. (the black dahlia murder, three inches of blood, darkest hour...etc.)

they like guitar solos over pig squeals.

I like both. Your friends are just too stubborn to accept changes. They're probably the kind of person that secludes themselves in their rooms and listen to Cannibal Corpse all day. Poor souls.

Back