Why am i forced to remove my hat at dinner on a cruise?

Mike

May 13, 2008
I asked this question:

When i went on my cruises each time during dinner i was told to take off my hat and when i wouldn't they wouldn't lay off. I have a funny shaped head and am kinda self conscious therefore i always wear a hat. I can understand even if it was the elegant night them asking me to remove it but just for regular dinner? I paid a lot to go on this cruise and cant even wear what i want? This is supposed to be a vacation shouldn't have to be told how to dress or remove my hat during dinner on a cruise ship.

Most replies were that i am disrespectful and i should take it off. One comment in particular that got my attention was by someone named "burt" and he said:

"Everyone else on the cruise paid a lot of money too. Is it too much for them to want you to mind you manners? Nobody gives a damn about you goofy looking head. We do care about trashing up the place with your bad manners."

They paid a lot of money too? So in other words youre saying that me wearing my hat during dinner is going to ruin their whole cruise & theyre gonna feel so disrespected just cause i wear a hat? As you so put it if nobody cares about my goofy looking head, then why would they care if i wear a hat? Maybe i don't want to see or deal with them This is what i don't get about people why do you care if i wear a hat? If i want to why should you feel disrespected? It has nothing to do with you. Half of you come on the cruise looking like you just ate the whole buffet and have your stomach popping right out, maybe i should feel disrespected by that. And the other guy that made the comment about wild animals, really? So me wearing a hat is compared to that, why are you people such ninny nags
@ Alan I was brought up right and have plenty of manners, i just never knew a hat indoor offended so many people, sounds like they need to get a life

Manners, my friend, Manners

A gentleman should ALWAYS remove a hat indoors. ALWAYS.
Ladies my wear theirs.

Sounds like someone didn't bring you up right.

Yeah, I agree with Burt.

He didn't say it would ruin their whole cruise if you wear your hat. I generally try to ignore jerks like you when I go on a cruise.

People pay a lot of money and they want to enjoy and nice elegant evening. They don't want some hillbilly sitting next to them wearing a hat. So don't wear a hat at the dinner table, don't burp, don't pick your teeth with your fork, and just generally try to act respectable.

It is basic good manners not to wear a hat at the dinner table, or anywhere indoors as far as men are concerned, women get away with anything!. If you are that concerned about your looks, why not buy a wig that will camouflage what you consider to be ugly? I agree with you about the obese types, nothing makes you want to throw up more than some of those fat bellies!

It just sort of dates back. It's the same reason you can't wear hats in school (now they will say it's distracting..that's bull shit). It is polite to take of your hat inside and especially at dinner and in the presence of a woman. That's just life honestly dude. I'd love to tell you some loophole or something, but you are a guest on their boat any way you look at it and you have to respect that. Just because you buy something from somebody at a store doesn't mean you are aloud to be a douche to him right? It's the same idea. I hope I could shine some light on the situation for you.

Burt was right, it was disrespectful of you. They should have keelhauled you.

this may not be what you want to hear but if you're travelling with a companion just get a table for 2, that or explain why you wear. people are just like that I'm afraid, I understand you're well brought up but lots of people are old fashioned, they not gonna get it

I understand . It is known to be rude to wear a hat indoors but what about the religious people that can wear a turban or the ladies that can wear the head dress or how about the chefs they should wear a hat. I see where your coming from, there seems to be different rules for some. A hat must be taken off in some places that are a security risk such as banks or clubs so safety cameras can see who the person is. I don't know how you can get this sorted . Perhaps you need to learn to love your head or just try to protest politely. . i don't know, but hope it doesn't cause you to much stress.

Back