Which satellite service has the best international lineup? Dish Network or Direct TV?

PersianPrincess1

Nov 30, 2009
My parents have had Dish Network for years now, and we like it. I live in Dallas, TX and moved into a townhouse recently, further North in Plano, about 15-20 minutes from my parents' house. A lot of things are new here, so I don't think there's been a lot of service issues with the satellites, etc. I just can't decide between Dish Network and Direct TV. And, even though I have AT&T phone and Wireless, I don't think I want their U-Verse for TV. I hear their customer service isn't great, and you get more storage on Dish/Direct TV DVRs. I don't need to record 4 shows at once.

Some information about me:

I am not a sports fanatic, so I don't need Direct TV's sports package. I enjoy watching foreign language channels and watching foreign dramas/comedies. I'm Iranian-American and speak Persian fluently (Persian dramas might be nice, but not necessary). I also speak Spanish well enough to enjoy those telenovelas. I'm learning other languages, so I'd like to watch programming from other countries to get better at speaking them. I would like to be able to watch good dramas from Italy, France, and Germany. Dish Network offers lots of International bundles, as well as a Euro Package with French, Italian and German programming.

I'm a fan of Korean dramas, and would like to find the company that offers the BEST programming with English subtitles. Dish has KBS; I hear the dramas are subtitled. Direct TV offers SBS and MBC, but I read that those channels are not subtitled (though that could have changed). So, I've gathered Dish Network offers more variety in international programming. I know for instance, that if I get Dish, I can probably purchase MBC Korean dramas online. The same goes for Japanese dramas, but I'd prefer to pick the company that has the best Korean and Japanese programming in English subtitles, as well as other international programming. I also like anime, and though Dish doesn't have an anime channel, they have programming on Cartoon Network, IFC, and sometimes other channels. It would be nice to find an anime channel.

Both satellite companies have basically the same programming, but I hear Dish Network has better customer service (guess it all depends on where you live). I also plan on getting a DVR package with the most HD channels.

As a user of both and hearing about you, I'd definitely choose Dish Network. A user of Dish Network for about 6 years and I really do recommend Dish Network. I am also into international stuff and local American stuff and sports. It has great coverage and low prices and different options. They have nice Asian packets and international and national sports packages for which i also buy and they are in HD. Definitely go with Dish Network and I hope you make the right decision. Good luck and let me know which you choose.

Back