Which martial art is right for me ?

SaturdayDreams

Oct 7, 2010
Hi, Yahoo Community,
I’ll try to make this as easy to read, answer and comprehend as possible :)
I’m 15 years old,
I live in Sydney, Australia
I’m a guy, if that helps
... And I want to learn a martial art I will commit to and enjoy practicing.
Ok, here it goes.
Ever since I was 7 i’ve wanted to learn a martial art. And I’ve read so much and seen so much about the martial arts. My favorite movie Kung Fu Panda is a martial arts movie and I enjoy watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies too with my dad. They are my favorite kind of physical activity and the only sport I am good at. I’m not fat, but I don’t do well at
races, I’m a lot better at doing Cross Country. I’m reasonably fit and strong, but small :).

Anyway, to the point...

I would love to start learning a martial art. I want my training to consist of effective self defense training mostly and a bit of philosophy, meditation and discipline, but of course fun enjoyable (interesting, exotic and fascinating, has nice instructors, and a nice learning environment) , to learn and builds confidence, character, effective self defense skills for any situation and physical and health benefits. And I don’t think learning forms is effective. Flowery forms are meditative and nice and look pretty, but not for self defense practice, i don’t think. I also read training with a collaborating partner is not effective? Is this true? What sort of training is effective?

I have researched most of them and my favorites at the moment are Japanese JuJitsu and Kung Fu (but I don’t know which style). I’m also thinking Judo maybe or Silat, Krav Maga, Muay Thai but they are my personal favourites. I think these would suit my criteria in the previous paragraph and in the next paragraph right? Or maybe another martial art? Should I do a striking before a grappling art, or vice versa? Or just one art? I don’t know. And try not to be biased, just something that would match my specifics.

Ok, now onto how I view self defense. I am small not really small, my height chart will predict me to grow to around 180 cm. I’m around small average, and when I’m older I want to go lots of places, and be a professional martial artist. I‘m NOT into MMA, or UFC crap, honestly I prefer tradition . In my self defense training I want to learn how to ...
Learn how to skillfully grapple and strike, and defend and counter against most striking and grappling attacks
Fight at a close range.
Know how to counter grappling attacks.
Know how to fight on the ground, in close combat, and in various stages of self defense very well.
Defend successfully against an armed opponent (an opponent with a weapon eg. knife, gun, glass, brick, stick etc.)
Defend against a much larger opponent skillfully.
Defend against multiple opponents in a street situation.
Stay safe, aware, assertive.
Be well equipped for any attack.
That’s what I would like to learn in my training of martial arts :). But I don’t know which martial arts do that? Can you help me? Which martial arts would be the best for me to do?
I wanna do all sorts of martial arts in my life time and i would like to start off with something

Also , next year in my new school, i know this sucks, but learning a full year Saturday sport and training twice weekly after school on Tues. and thursdays is compulsory! I guess thats why the school holidays are so longer than other schools. The sport choices are awful and the only decent one there was WTF Taekwondo. And I’ve done TKD with my dad for 6 months (WTF TKD, he thinks its the most effective art, its the best thing since sliced bread ^.^) and I don’t like TKD one bit. Thats why I want to start fresh new with a more enjoyable approach to martial arts. Anyway turns out I’ll be ridiculously punching the air several times next year. And I’m worried by learning this I might
1)Stop liking martial arts
2)Have my proper martial arts training disrupted by learning the two at the same time
3) May not be as good at the art I want to do because of it :(.
What do you think?

Anyway thank you for bothering your time to read this (I know it’s ridiculously complex and well long lol :) but can you please try and answer me and my questions.
Also. why is everyone thumbing down answers like -10 and -5 , like seriously, why is this, and whoever is doing it can you please stop, Is everyones answer wrong :? its you know annoying . anyway thanks :)

So for now. I will try look around at schools once I’ve found what I want, thanks to your answers, we have 45 days of summer school holidays left to look around, decide and so on, plenty of time :).

Thank you for all your helpful answers, and best wishes for your martial art futures :).

Add: Sorry so much you guys BTW, Yahoo Answers Australia on my account has had a mega glitch. When I try ask a question it posts it like 3 times or refreshes to the homepage, and also when I extend expiration or put in voting it deletes the question :?. I've heard from other aus users this happened to them too. thank you so much and im so pissed and also sorry you have to keep seeing this come up coz of the site maintenance glitch crap grrr. i tried the america site . damn still the same. oh well. And please dont nag on how I keep posting this so you get 4 points but sorry
1) I am trying to stop this, fix this
2) I am trying to delete as many as keep coming up
3) I can't help it sorry.
Add:
Anyway is Japanese JuJitsu good for self defense and do they do realistic sparring to prepare you for a real situation?). I am thinking of doing either Sanshou, Shaolin or Wing Chun Kung Fu but I am not sure of which style and whether i should get profound in a striking area of fighting by doing tk

Back