Which is better? A Subaru Wagon or Chevy Camaro?

nikki

May 12, 2008
I'm trying to get a car. I need it to secure a job (no jobs in my area), and to get to class. I had a Camaro RS picked out I liked, five star safety ratings. Sold. Found another for sale, well-maintained Camaro, with T-tops. My dad now wants to get me a Subaru Outback '99 for $1000 that needs repairs (gasket and other possible repairs). Also, has a four star, three-star side impact safety rating. Note, Camaro needs no repairs.
So, its Subaru wagon needing repairs for $1000, or Camaro for $2300.
My research shows that Subaru's are expensive to maintain, while Camaros are not as so. But I am but a girl, so my opinion does not matter to my dad.
Are there any mechanics around who can give me any input on either vehicle so I can either confirm my research or be discredited? And please be either a mechanic or an owner of a well maintained vehicle.
I know there are a lot of Camaros that have been treated poorly, and thus break down easily, I've talked about that with another mechanic who owned one.
Also, insurance is not an issue to be discussed.
My grandmother is buying a car, she originally said up to $2500. Now she is saying she'll go above that for repairs to the Subaru and my father seems to have convinced her its more reliable. I disagree from what I have seen from owners of that car, but he does not want to listen to me.

i would go for the camaro mine is 25 years old and still running strong everything is original(never been replaced) besides the tires. so thats my input

Back