Which is a better plasma TV? LG or Samsung?

AnnaR

Jun 3, 2008
Hi, I'm trying to figure out what is a better buy..the samsung 50 inch plasma pn50b530 or the 50 inch LG 50ps60. Both are similar in that they are 50 inch plasmas, same price, and both have 1080p. I've tried looking for reviews but am coming up with great things for both. Can anyone recommend which is better, i.e in the long run, less problems, etc, etc...?? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Samsung has the better reputation for reliability.

Japanese sets have long been held to be more regarded as the most reliable, and Samsung sets are manufactured in Japan. LG sets are made in Korea, and there were reports at first of the difficulty to get parts and repair service for LG products. That may no longer be the case.

Samsung is a top-tier manufacturer, which means they have some control over the manufacturing of the parts, chips, boards, etc. that go into their sets whereas most budget TV brands do not. That theoretically makes the sets more reliable. They also have a reputation for service when you need repair.

any more, i go w/ samsung for all my electronics from cell phones to hard drives for my computer.
don'tknow anyone who is satisfied w/ lg.

well i have a 50in plasma LG and its amazing, ive had it for 3 years now and havent had a single problem. It also isnt too expensive for a plasma and it's pretty. Overall a 10/10.

Hi Anna,

Firstly brand you have selected are the best...still Samsung is better....Secondly, my suggestion is don't go for Plasma TVs as they consume more electricity & soon fading out of market. Why not try latest LCD TVs....Plasma TVs employ a matrix of tiny plasma gas cells that are charged by precise electrical voltage to create a picture. In the case of LCD panels, liquid crystal display make up the screen. Imagine liquid crystal pressed between two glass plates to which varying electrical charge is applied to create an image. Plasma don't last long (30,000 to 60,000 hrs - watching hours) compared to LCD (60,000 hrs)

Though both have their pros & cons...just a tiny sneak peek for you....

Some Pros....
* LCD TVs offer more pixels and so you can see more minute details

* LCD TVs are said to consume up to 30% less power than plasmas

* Plasma screens render black better than LCD TVs. The contrast and level of detail are therefore better

* Plasmas offer better viewing angles. It allows you to get a clear picture even from acute angles

I guess first two are more important & relevant, right....choice is yours.

More info on pros & cons visit the web links....

Hope you find this info beneficial and Happy Shopping !!!!! :)

Regards
Raman

Back