Which historical icons and fictional characters from film, TV, and books are...

Skylarkm

May 8, 2013
...the most overhyped or underrated? I was reminded tonight of an article I read in Flavorpill last March titled "10 Fictional Characters People Need to Stop Idolizing," and am curious to know your thoughts on it and other overhyped characters. In the post's preface they wrote, "We all need idols, and considering how central books, film, and TV can be to our lives, it makes sense that so many of us count fictional characters among our role models. But not every charismatic protagonist is an Atticus Finch — or even a Leslie Knope. We take a lighthearted look at some of the outsize personalities that never should have become cult heroes or objects of popular worship. These aren’t villains we relish for their cartoonish evil, but irreparably flawed (and sometimes downright sociopathic) characters people think are cool and/or strive to emulate." The characters they listed are: Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver), Holly Golightly (Breakfast at Tiffany's), Holden Caulfield (Catcher in the Rye), Carrie Bradshaw (Sex in the City), Alex (A Clockwork Orange), Liz Lemon (30 Rock), Withnail (Withnail and I), Stephen Dedalus (A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man), Scarlett O’Hara (Gone with the Wind), and Don Draper (Mad Men).

1. Do you agree with their list?
2. Who do you think are the most overhyped fictional characters?
3. Who do you think are the most underrated fictional characters?
4. What historical icons and figures are undeserving of their celebration, and which ones deserve more recognition?

Totally Unrelated Bonus Question: If you could rename one day of the week what would you rename it? The only rule is that it has to end in day.

Back