Which handheld GPS for the A.T.?

jarcher8

Feb 8, 2012
I plan on hiking the Appalachian Trail next year and have been considering a hand held GPS unit, since I get lost so easy. I am currently learning how to use a compass, but still would like to carry a GPS if/when I get off the trail, like going into town or bushwhacking. As I mentioned, I get lost very easily and would like something to help me get back on the trail. I have been looking at Garmin models (specifically Etrex 30 as well as Montana 650t). Any and all replies greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time!!

Good that you are also working on learning to use a map along with he GPS. It is good backup in case you loose the GPS somehow. I would also carry a spare set of alkaline batteries for the gps in a plastic bag. I generally use Rechargeable batteries but the alkalines could save you if you don't get to a place to recharge your main batteries.

The Montana has a lot of extra features that will make it more complicated if you don't need them.
It also has the preloaded maps that I consider a problem. You don't get the same maps for your computer for planning or reviewing where you were. (there is a way to back them up in case they get destroyed). If you want the fancy machine, I would suggest getting the cheaper model without the maps and buying the set of maps that you want to use both on the computer and the GPS.

The Etrex is a new model in a well loved family. I have had the first Vista and now a Vista HCx and love them. Unlike the new touch screen models, you can control them completely with the hand that is holding them which leaves your other hand free.
It' screen is smaller, but I find it easy to use.

One of my friends never was able to figure out how to use the etrex and opted for the Oregon which is also a touch screen model. She likes it.

Back