Which blue ray player (non-Sony) can play various video formats (avi,

NatuP

Mar 14, 2013
flv, mkv, rmvb, mov, etc off usb drive? I have a TV which has web access, so I don't need to have a web access on the dvd player. Also I don't need to have a 3D player. I don't like Sony because sometimes, it does not play out of region DVDs. I would like to connect usb drive (flash or hard drive) to the DVD player to play the video files.

Bad idea.

A better device is a small media server like the Western Digital TV Live box. Roku2/3 are also good but do not handle as many file formats as the WD box.

These media servers EXIST to access web services and play computer files. They have great support and get frequent firmware updates.

The apps and file support on a smart TV or a smart BluRay player are very limited. The companies do not want you calling to complain when some crappy torrent download fails to play or worse - crashes the HDTV or BluRay player. They are therefore very picky about what file formats and resolutions they support.

Note that RM, RMVB do not have wide support because of the licences fees. My WD player handles most MKV's just fine but MKV is not a video type but a container like a zip file. The media inside can be dozens of different formats which is why most HDTV/BluRay players refuse to work with them.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that to play movies not produced in this country you will need a universal player. I only know of two unit that makes a universal player, one is Pioneer Elite and are price from the $350 and OPPO at $500. You can not change t a player to play all region. Panasonic is the most reliable player in the market today. The OPPO would be the best choice. It is the very best one in the market. I have never had a Sony product that have lasted me more than 3 years. The first DVD player model 7000 and the following year the 7700 both priced at over $1,100 each and the first HDTV by Sony a 34" CRT tv at $6,400 and all of them no more than 3 years. They also have a very poor customer service support, that is if you can understand the person on the other end of the phone line. Hope this will help you out.

Back