Whats your opinion on Dual Sport Bikes?

redsfan

May 1, 2010
I know they are good if they get dropped because they are tough, but im not sure whether I like them or not. Are they confortable, and do you think they are ugly?
Is there any way to lower them. There is no way I would be able to get both feet on the ground with the stock heights on most of them.
also, will these withstand the elements better than other bikes if left outside all the time?

they make after market lower links for the rear on a drz 400 and on the front you just loosen the triple tree and let the shocks slide up some and retighten them

i have a drz 400s which is the dual sport model and actually had mine on a bike trailer going to go ride in the woods and a strap broke and it shot off the side of trailer going about 50 down the road and dragged it for probably over 50 feet or better and only thing it did was bend the bars a little and give it a little road rash,strapped it back down and went on to ride,still going today

i would prefer going either to an SM or straight dirt model but when i was looking i got a good deal in mine so i bought it.........drz and some of the ktms are the better looking bikes in my opinion

well you actually you don't buy shorter springs,you have somebody that knows what they are doing take your front shocks apart and put spacers in them to keep them from fully extending.....now as this is not something the average person should tackle sliding the fork tubes up through the triple tree less than an inch will not affect it enough where it will interfere with the way the bike rides and drives

(if you put shorter springs in the bike and you tried to jump it off road the shock would extend further than the spring and when you hit you would stand and good chance of busting a seal due to the free pressure or damage the valving inside)some people really have no clue of what they are saying and have no understanding of how stuff works,they read it in a book and think thats the way it has to be done

A dual sport bike, is the best bike to learn on. But they are, a jack of all trades. Unlike a purpose built bike, they don't do anything great. But they do, many things well. I love mine, almost as much as my Harley.

You can buy a lowering kit, or take it to a dealer.

No, they are about the same.

Lowering links is correct to lower the rear, but loosening the triples and sliding the tubes up will affect the rake/trail of the bike. The CORRECT way to lower the front is to buy shorter springs. They are available through the dealer, and not very expensive.
Lowered seats are also available as well for most dual sport bikes. I think they are awesome for long travels, very comfortable and are loaded with options for travel as well.

EDIT: Spacers in the springs make it taller...not lower. The shorter springs for dual sport applications have the same spring rate as the stock ones, just a shorter length, and they will not bottom out on rough terrain or even jumps. The bike itself would bottom out first at the oil pan before the shocks would.
and YES sliding the forks up an inch WILL affect the way the bike performs, lowering it in ANY way will affect the handling PERIOD.

I think they are awesome, I sold one of my streetbikes to get one and I really like it

I got a friend that has one he loves it. Tricked it all out and cheap to

Back