What's Wrong With My Chrysler Sebring?

shrambo17

Dec 14, 2008
Alright. I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring JX that a bought September 2008. It had very little problems except for one time where it wouldnt start. Got that fixed i dont know what it was. besides that it showed no signs of dying. A few days ago i was driving home on the highway and randomly when i pressed the gas i noticed the engine reved but the car didnt accelerate. i kept pressing the pedal but nothing happened. i got into the right lane and kept pumping the gas and finally the car responded. I took the first exit and was barely going along. it would only accelerate about every 5-10 times i pressed the pedal. Eventually it wouldnt accelerate at all. I drifted into a mall parking lot and now whenever put into drive, reverse, or any other gear it acts as if its in neutral. You press the gas and the engine revs but the car does not move. Is this the transmission? Is there any chance it is anything less major? The car is not low on transmission fluid. Any input would be helpful.
By the way, JX means it is a convertible. It has a pretty rough dent and 146,000 miles so anything over 500 dollars would be stupid to pay. So I am praying it is not major although I'm 90% sure it is.
And Mar- they really arent bad. I dont know why so many people dont like them. they ride nice and feel sporty. when you floor it im not sure if your actually going fast but you definitely feel like you are. theyre nice

If it only did it to one or two of the gears you could say it was the entire tranny. However, it sounds like your valve body (inside the tranny pan) is not working properly. Sometimes replacing the tranny filter and getting a tranny flushed fixes that problem. Worse case scenario your torque converter took a beating. The cheapest way to fix it is to have a tranny flush and replace the filter :)

thats what it sounds like u might need to change the filter and the tranns. oil the filter might be cloged iam to shure but if is that u have to change it and new oil or the speed senser whent bad did u check to see if the speedomerder was working ???

Chrysler's are notorious for transmission problems, this definetly sounds like a transmission problem. Probably needs a new/rebuilt trans.

Back