What's the biggest motor I could put on a 14 foot speed boat?

watson101303

Jul 23, 2008
I want to know how big of a motor, and how much horsepower, one could put on a 14 foot speed boat, and should it be onboard or or outboard motor?

If you are asking what you could "put on it" you are probably referring to a smaller aluminum fishing boat....10 h.p. maybe 15. Check the USCG plate on the transom.
(And, no....you can't "technically put whatever you want on it" unless you consider sinking to the bottom of your local waterway a typical part of boating.)

It depends on the rated horsepower. If it's not listed on a capacity plate inside the boat, or you're building it yourself, take a look at this:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf.

What is the construction of the boat? I personally run a 15' fiberglass boat with a 5' beam, and it's rated for 80HP. I use an 85 horse, but I have made my insurance company aware of that fact and they have agreed to issue coverage anyway. It really does depend a lot on the width, lengh, and design. If you push a hull beyond a safe speed, you run the risk of chine walk, blowouts, or blowing over backwards. Having the hull lose it's "grip" on the water can result in a reversal of direction. If you have ever been traveling at 60mph on water, followed by an intananeous and violent transition to a backwards direction, you'll feel lucky to walk away with soiled underwear and not have been killed.

By the way, a 200HP outboard on a 14' boat is correctly described as a "suicide missile", not a boat.

Back