Whats 3g mean when your talking about the iphone?

Iwalkaloneeee

Nov 18, 2008
Okay so im getting an ipod for christmas this year. I wanna know cause on the commercials it always says the best 3g phone on the market. how can u have an ipod with 3 gigabytes. What the hell my ipod holds 8 gigs and im almost outta space. how much gigabytes does an ipod have and whats the g mean please.

3G describes the network, the old iphone was considered 2G because it ran on GSM or EDGE for its connection to the network, the new phone uses GSM or HSDPA which is a faster internet connection.

Gigabytes refers to the space on teh phone, and the iPhone 3G comes in 8 Gigabytes and 16 Gigabytes of space. 3G just refers to the type of network it connects to. Depending on where you live, you may not even have a 3G network availabel, but the phone will still work on EDGE, even if HSDPA isnt available.

3G stands for third generation, and is a wireless industry term for a collection of international standards and technologies aimed at increasing efficiency and improving the performance of mobile wireless networks.

3G wireless services offer enhancements to current applications, including greater data speeds, increased capacity for voice and data and the advent of packet data networks versus today’s switched networks.

As second-generation (2G) wireless networks evolve into third-generation systems around the globe operators are working hard to enable 2G and 3G compatibility and worldwide roaming, including 3G UMTS, GSM, GPRS, IS-95A/B, 3G CDMA2000 1X and CDMA2000 1xEV technologies.

3G is a network used for the transfer of data, not gigabytes. the iPhone uses the 3G network to send and receive information faster when for example, browsing the internet.

iPods don't have anything to do with 3G.

its the network...i think for the internet....i an ipod its 3rd generation which means it the 3 ipod...i think

The 3G means Third Generation of digital data transmission. Its just a marketing gimic for a very technical aspect of cell phones today.

3g doesn't mean 3 gigabytes, it means it's a 3rd generation phone. 3g phones are the ones that have internet and video-calling as standard. That's the difference between 2g and 3g. If you are talking about the memory it's GB, not G

Back