What would you buy? Loaded Honda or Basic BMW, if costs about the same.?

Sharon

Jun 7, 2008
Would you buy a fully equipped Honda/Toyota with navigation, leather and everything..... or would you spend the money on a really basic Mercedes/BMW? For example, Mercedes GLK and the upcoming BMW X1 both SUVs start below 35,000. A fully equipped Honda CR-V costs about 30,000. Besides more powerful engines, what are the pros and cons choosing an european make over a japanese make? Thanks for answering !

No matter how loaded when people ask you what you drive, you'll tell them Honda. You won't say, I have a Honda, but wait, I have this and this and this packages, oh and it has navi. No one cares, it's a bottom of a line car for people who don't care. But, BMW no matter which one is always a BMW. You are not just buying a car, you are buying a lifestyle. Remember that.

BMW, no doubt.

Having to drive a soulless transportation appliance from Honda or Toyota would kill my spirit.

Considering the recent quality issues with Asian cars, opt for BMW now more than ever. I know several people with Asian "SUVs" which give them nothing but issues. However, my Bimmer brothers (and sisters) never once had any problems with their X3, X5 and X6.
My friend's mom drives a CRV, loaded as much as you can load that little vehicle. Just a few years old, the four wheel drive no longer works and there are several other issues within the car.
You get what you pay for really. A fully loaded Asian is cheaper than a basic German but the German comes, obviously, with the famous and loved German engineering which Asian vehicles will never accomplish as they are too mass produced "driving appliances".
Also, BMW has amazing service at the same cost you'd pay for a Cadillac or Lincoln, just with much fewer issues than said makes. My 7-Series, no longer under warranty, had issues with some in-dash displays. BMW is aware of those issues occurring and, despite no warranty coverage, offered to pay half of the replacement cost.
It's your call in the end. A car with a design nobody will notice as it is too average and unspectacular, a gas pedal that may or may not get stuck and kill you or a masterpiece of German engineering with fine technology and, in BMWs case, outstanding design.
Choose wisely, you are what you drive.

Back