What UK driving license do you need to drive a classic VW Camper?

Standman

Apr 8, 2011
I hear it's classed as a motorhome, and sometimes a light van. So I was wondering if you need a different license to drive one... And whether you'd need a different type of insurance (i.e. motorhome insurance rather than car insurance)

in the UK an ordinary full driving licence is all you need, however most major insurance companies do not insure camper vans ,and the camper van has got to have certain equipement built into the interior ,camper van insurance is dearer than car insurancewhen covering for the year.

Just a full licence will do, not too sure about insurance, it depends on whats in the back. If it's cleared out I would guess normal insurance, if its still fitted out perhaps motorhome insurance. Your insurance broker should be able to keep you right though. :)

A full clean UK driving licence should suffice. It surely isn't a motor home , it's a camper van.

It'd come under Cat B (Motor vehicles with a Maximum Authorised Mass of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg), the same as a "conventional" car.

Yes, you may possibly need to hunt for insurance, it depends on the company you ask. It won't be difficult to obtain, there are many around.

Back