what to do when an older family member gossips about their children to their...

BubbleGum

May 31, 2008
...'friends' and neighbours?
gossiping friends and not people who actually give a damn about her health and well being, not people who accompany her to her appointments, not people who care about her happiness. simply people who like to complain about how bad their kids are, how nosy their kids are, and how uptight they are. funny thing but in her opinion her friends and neighbours arent nosy when they ask about the goings on of the rest of her family...

Nothing. Families DO talk about other family members. It's very hard to distinguish between ordinary legitimate conversation and actual malicious gossip. Just make sure you chat to them occasionally yourself, so that when they talk about you, at least they have the facts direct from your own mouth.

And why do you say "friends" in that insulting way? What makes you think these are not really friends? Perhaps you should give some more background: so far I haven't seen any mention of wrong-doing.

Depends on what they are gossiping about maybe they are bragging about their family.I know my MIL used to be like this to her sister but she would say things she should,nt have and her sister knew everything that was going on and would make comments about it But their children they claim were saints when they wer,nt Here is a for instance ,The Aunt my husbands aunt and uncle said I should,nt smoke !Then we were ordering cigarettes from someone who was going on vacation in another state where they were cheaper The Uncle ordered a certain brand one that my MIL did,nt know who smoked them come to find out for years her sister who lived nextdoor all her life was a closet smoker.Dont dictate to others if you are doing the same,thing.

Back