What martial art is right for me? 10 POINTS !!!!!!!!!?

RAW

Apr 5, 2008
so im 5'7 and 130 lbs . im very agile and im looking for a martial art that is very offensive and would be very useful in the real world. i said im looking for a MARTIAL ART meaning no boxing or mma . i want a martial art that can deliver very lethal blows in matter of seconds. whats the best martial art for me ?????
i also wanted to add that i wanted to take up a martial art that is fairly well known because of where i live any styles of martial arts may be hard to find so im looking for a common martial art that would suit my characteristics .
i also do not have time to shop around for a martial art i need to know in a matter of a few hours please give me a common martial art and why it would be good for me and what the martial art incorporates. thankss
raging patriot you dont understand my situation . but as of now im leaning towards tkd what do you guys think of that?
there are so many schools near me its impossible to go to every one and watch every style of martial art each school has thats why i need to narrow my search down to a few martial arts that id enjoy..

Boxing is a martial art.

Anyway, no one can tell you which martial art is the best for you. Anyone who attempts to do so will have no idea of what they are talking about because they are not you.

Now, a very good way of finding out which martial art is right for you is to visit several facilities representing a variety of styles. Watch the classes of both beginning and advanced students and talk with both students and instructors. You could help to narrow it down by focusing on facilities that present themselves as self defense oriented since that seems to be what you're after.

After visiting a few places you should be able to narrow it down to no more than 2 or 3. At that point, take some free classes at each place. Any reputable facility will let you take some free classes. If they don't, then pound sand to the next place.

Trust me, after doing what I suggest it's very likely that you'll know which style/facility/instructor is best for you. You'll be much more informed than having a bunch of semi literate, inexperienced fan boys giving you uninformed suggestions as to what style you should take.

Best of luck.

ADDED: If you don't have time to choose the right martial art for you, how do you expect to have time to actually study the martial art?

Well, most martial arts do have a certain amount of killing/maiming blows. However, nobody can really tell you which is the most offensive because nobody have done more than a few styles. The top answer sounds pretty good for your preferences, and I agree that MMA and boxing aren't REAL martial arts...

Umm... Boxing IS a martial art. MMA is a collection of martial arts - hence the name Mixed MARTIAL ARTS.

What is the rush? If you don't have time (or patience) to shop for a martial art school then how will you find time (or patience) to train? Choosing a martial art is not exactly like going to Walmart and getting a gallon of milk or something like that. It takes committment and dedication. Choosing the right school is important and since we do not know who teaches in your area there is no way for us to tell you which school is best. I say who because the art does not matter. It is the teacher who determines what you will learn. Any martial art can be taught for health, fitness and fun as well as for self defense and it can be the exact same style. Different people train for different reasons and different people teach for different reasons.
I am afraid there is no easy way around your homework of visiting some schools and doing some research before choosing.

What is the rush? If you don't have time (or patience) to shop for a martial art school then how will you find time (or patience) to train? Choosing a martial art is not exactly like going to Walmart and getting a gallon of milk or something like that. It takes committment and dedication. Choosing the right school is important and since we do not know who teaches in your area there is no way for us to tell you which school is best. I say who because the art does not matter. It is the teacher who determines what you will learn. Any martial art can be taught for health, fitness and fun as well as for self defense and it can be the exact same style. Different people train for different reasons and different people teach for different reasons.
I am afraid there is no easy way around your homework of visiting some schools and doing some research before choosing.

Hapkido is a great martial art that I did not even know it existed before I took it, but Hapkido is the way of coordinating energy. This pretty much means you use your opponent's momentum and strength against them and it is great for your interests. It is great for self defense and teaches amazing discipline. I have been taking it for several months and I have really gotten in to it. It is also really fun to do. Hapkido would be definitely something to look into if it is available in your area.

Kenpo is very real world oriented however depending on where you live you could find it hard to find an instructor. I know of only one instructor in my area and only found out about him though one of his 5 students who is a friend of mine.

Judo would probably be the next most real world friendly martial arts and considerably easier to find an instructor.

Martial arts however are not classified as offensive or defensive in degrees all martial arts are offensive and defensive by nature it is the user that makes it be offensive or defensive. The most deadly martial artists are usually very passive (defensive) not because they have to but because if needed they know they can become very offensive. They are generally classified as grappling or striking martial arts. Both the arts I listed are grappling based arts as you were interested in real world application. Striking martial arts are less relevant in today's age and have evolved often times into a competitive style vs real fighting. Many Kung fu styles fall into this category. A Kung fu artist often studies numerous weapons that can not be carried around in modern daily life.

One of the most deadly I have heard of is probably in terms of potential lethality when used by masters is Ti chi, though none would think of it as deadly when it's modern use is relaxation and exercise often by the geriatric. And often is not taught beyond that point.

Kenpo is very real world oriented however depending on where you live you could find it hard to find an instructor. I know of only one instructor in my area and only found out about him though one of his 5 students who is a friend of mine.

Judo would probably be the next most real world friendly martial arts and considerably easier to find an instructor.

Martial arts however are not classified as offensive or defensive in degrees all martial arts are offensive and defensive by nature it is the user that makes it be offensive or defensive. The most deadly martial artists are usually very passive (defensive) not because they have to but because if needed they know they can become very offensive. They are generally classified as grappling or striking martial arts. Both the arts I listed are grappling based arts as you were interested in real world application. Striking martial arts are less relevant in today's age and have evolved often times into a competitive style vs real fighting. Many Kung fu styles fall into this category. A Kung fu artist often studies numerous weapons that can not be carried around in modern daily life.

One of the most deadly I have heard of is probably in terms of potential lethality when used by masters is Ti chi, though none would think of it as deadly when it's modern use is relaxation and exercise often by the geriatric. And often is not taught beyond that point.

eskrima is good
especially for you because you are fast and agile although you need two to three hits before you take down an enemy

Back