What is up with you brits?

The exception is the phrase 'the dog's bollocks', which means that something is absolutely superb.

Yeah they made it into a T.V. show. One of the better contestants on it, was a comedian called Greg Proops ( or something like that ). Was he from the U.S. or was he Canadian?

This is true of lots of words which predominantly have negative connotations, for example if you say something is 'Poo' then it's bad, it's rubbish or it's useless, but, if you say something is 'THE poo' then it's good, it's excellent.

ah ok. I'm surprised... I didn't know that Drew Carey had anything to do with it. He's pretty damn funny... but his humor trying to work in a sitcom sucks ass. Classic example of a funny guy twisted to fit the confines of a TV format.

It means that he knows that in Cricket they are making up the rules as they go?

I know I've posted enough clips from it already, but any of Chris Morris' spoof news shows are amongst the funniest things ever on British TV. I'm not sure how they'd go down in the states.

I've also got into Black Books recently too.

I am loving the series scrubs at the moment ( always been a fan of mcginley)
I also like that other American stand up comic, George W Bush. he's very funny.

I remember him. He was funny!

He did one routine on some programme or other in which he said that Brits drink our drinks "like someone is about to take it away from us". That still makes me chuckle whenever I think of it.

Whether he's American or Canadian I've no idea.

You mean you don't understand the rules of cricket?

It's not that hard to understand, really. Just think of it as baseball for grown men!

Ive seen loads of very funny American stand up comedians on shows like Jongleurs or the world stands up. There seems to be loads of good Aussie stand ups too. One of the best stand up comedians ever is Bill Hicks and you have your classics like Richard Prior and Lenny Bruce.

There are a lot of really funny American comedy films, clerks, dogma, dodgeball, waynes world etc. As for Canadian humour, Trailer Park Boys is great.

I saw Spamalot a couple of Weekends ago in Palace Theatre London.

Starring Tim Curry, it was fabulous, and imo much better than when we saw it in New York even though we had better seats in NY on broadway.

I don't think I've cried laughing that much for a while

British Comedy rules KO.

ahhh but mike myers started in the comedy store in the UK along with the likes of Paul Merton, our sense of humour wins again.

It would, if he weren't Canadian.

Whose Line was pretty much filled with Canadians and Americans, with a few odd Brits thrown in for funsies.

It is silly to say that Americans or Brits have a better sense of humor or a worse one as there are too many people and too many variables. And there are plenty of stupid BritComs as well. There are shining gems of humor coming from both countries, you just have to pick them out of the overwhelming crap that is produced.

Who were the regulars on Who's Line is it Anyway?

I remember it was usually Greg Proops, Mike McShane, Colin Mochrie and Tony Slattery. Oh and I think Stephen Frost. So that's mainly Canadians and Brits.

The three or four who mainly showed in all shows were Canadians, weren't they? Bah, been too long since I have seen the episodes and haven't watched as much once they turned it over to Drew Carey.

I've only been skimming this thread. Has anyone mentioned Fawlty Towers yet?

Despite it's age it's still funny today, and was making us Brits laugh over here when you lot were still living in wigwams.

Oh yeah, I remember that "D'oh, Josie Lawrence!" feeling when the credits opened. She was very enthusiastic just not very funny!

Yeah, I think so. Colin Mochrie, Mike McShane, Greg Proops and Ryan Stiles are all Canadians I think and they were the regulars.

I was just going to mention Fawlty Towers

Why has nobody mentioned Only Fools and Horses, My Family, Shooting Stars, Nevermind the buzzcocks, I can't believe it's not news, Room 101

British humour is awesome!

Back