What is the point of biblical prophecy?

nameless

May 24, 2008
Suppose for a moment that Biblical prophecy *is* correct/true/whatever.

Why does it matter? So Daniel or David or Mayor McCheese or someone said something that meant that Germany would invade Poland in the 20th century.

By hiding their prophecies in cryptic, variably interpreted messages, they couldn't have been trying to warn us of anything, else they'd have said it more clearly. So what purpose did the various prophets have in making their prophecies?
Then why isn't it more clear? If God wants us to believe in him, I'd be a lot more open to the idea if the Bible specifically spelled out the date, time, and location of a given event.

the point of prophecy is to prove that there is someone who is not bound by time. someone who can see the future just as well as he can see the past. someone who deserves our trust. that someone is God.

EDIT: It seems not to be clear at first, But God geniously dsigned the bible, especially the prophecies to be revealed only at the right time. Like the prophecies of the earth having one ruler did not make much sense when they were given out, but if observe political conditions, it seems like the world is moving toward a one world government.

And sometimes, the prophecies do have specific dates. The reformation of israel is a good exaple.

I think you are getting Nostradamus type prophecies confused with Bible prophecies. Granted the exact date and time are not given they are quite clear.

Take this one for example:
Genesis 15:13-14
Then He said to Abram: "Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years. And also the nation whom they serve I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions."

What exactly is hard to understand, or is cryptic, about that one?

There is tons of biblical prophecy that IS clear. Most is not cryptic at all. I'm not aware of any biblical foretelling (and by the way all prophecy is not foretelling, most is just telling, usually like it was a the time) that addresses poland in the 20tth century. Nostradamus did stuff like that and he was nothing at all biblical.

Most of the prophets told about stuff that had to do with what was going on in their time, or soon to come. It's present day wanna be prophets that try to turn what Daniel said into future events still to come. Sure most of the OT prophets foretold the Messiah that was (in their days) still to come. Even now, Jesus has not returned from his return to see his Father (and ours) after the Crucifixion yet.

Most prophecy has to do with messages from God to a person or nation that was pertinent to their (current) problems. Samuel prophesied to King Saul stuff that Saul needed to know, then. His stuff was not cryptic. He was there to explain what he meant to Saul (and DAvid) etc.

A lot is clear. What isn't, you (and everyone else) can ask God. If you need to know, He'll tell you. If you don't' have the need to know, it probably won't be given to you either.

All need to know about the Messiah. It's not that secret.

Not a single prophecy given in the bible has failed to come true. I don't understand why you think they are cryptic or hidden. God does not do anything without first revealing it to his people.They are indeed warnings and I strongly suggest you pay attention to the last 3. If you are blind or have trouble reading the bible, Jehovah's' witnesses would be glad to help you.

Back