What is the function of RDS button in Car Audio system?

rick29148

May 30, 2010
It's a way of having the radio find the type of station you like to listen to. Must not of made it, tho, because it seems to be on '02's only - I have an '02 Grand Marquis with the function, so I looked-it-up. When you push the RDS button, there should pop-up a list of different kinds of stations, like talk, light rock, country, etc. You pick the one you want, & the radio will automatically look for stations that have the RDS system & advertise that style. Also, some of the stations transmit the name of the song that's playing, & that shows up, too.

I bought a 2002 Lexus ES300 recently. I could not figure out what is the function of the RDS button in the Audio system. The owners manual does not speak about this button as there is a different button mentioned there (I think its AF). I read it somewhere RDS stands for Radio Data System. But I need more information on what it does and how to use it?

Also, Not sure of the TYPE button in the audio system.

Could anyone help me in this regard?

Thanks
Babulalprasath

It's a way of having the radio find the type of station you like to listen to. Must not of made it, tho, because it seems to be on '02's only - I have an '02 Grand Marquis with the function, so I looked-it-up. When you push the RDS button, there should pop-up a list of different kinds of stations, like talk, light rock, country, etc. You pick the one you want, & the radio will automatically look for stations that have the RDS system & advertise that style. Also, some of the stations transmit the name of the song that's playing, & that shows up, too.

Back