What is it with this 'I am allergic to water and it can send me into Anaphylactic

Joe

May 12, 2008
Shock if I touch it' trend? As an individual who holds a 4-year course in Biology, I can safely state that so-called 'aquagenic urticaria' is a downright hoax. First off, if you were REALLY allergic to water and didn't just scald yourself or drink boiling water to make it look that way, you would've died in the womb. The Human Body is 55-75% water, and is contained within every skin cell, blood cell, hair, and even bone. If this was a medical fact, how come we don't see people in the street being 'acid-ized' like the witch from the Wizard of Oz? Also, there is no Biological mechanism by which one would spontaneously become 'allergic' to water, an allergic reaction is due to a nitrogen-like compound called a Histamine, a protein that induces what is known as an allergic reaction in the body. Additionally; the molecular formula of water, h20, does not any of these allergenic protein properties. What does everyone else think about this, and why am I seeing a lot of questions about it from numerous users lately? (Just search, and you'll know what I mean. I find it hilarious, next they'll mention they're allergic to air!)

Edit: The so-called 'allergic reactions/hives' towards water were found to be due to fluoride or chlorine, typically in tap water. I know when I swim in a pool I come out in a rash surrounding my chest, but with say, lake or river water, I get none of this.

Just another example that kids these days need to stop flunking their school classes!
2nd answerer wears a tinfoil hat to prevent evil water droplets that accumilate in the air constantly from coming into contact. Bravo.
You DO realize some 'cases' on that show are either extremely exaggerated or made up, right?

Congrats on taking 4 years of science in High School. That in no way qualifies you as an allergist, a doctor, or a scientist. Sorry.You are still a fool with a HS diploma.
Good rant though.

ETA: Certainly in your '4 year course in Biology' you learned this was not a Histamine based allergy, right? I mean, you mention Histamines in your rant, but someone as educated as you knows otherwise, I am certain.

Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. It certainly wasn't necessary to write a big paragraph just to prove it.

Anyways, it's a stupid trend going on right now from trolls. It'll pass.

Back