What is a good DIY home theater system and blu-ray player that could...

smurfinizer

May 12, 2009
...compare to the Panasonic SC-BT100? I'm looking for the whole setup, home theater receiver, blu-ray player and speakers. The Panasonic SC-BT100 offers all of that in one package as well as wireless rear speakers and an i-pod dock. Does anyone have a recommendation of a mix match group (receiver,blu-ray player, speakers with a wireless option and powered sub) that costs less than $600? I really like the idea of the wireless rear speakers and the fact that it has a blu-ray player built in so i'm really leaning toward the panasonic unit. However a lot of people say you get more out of building your own system, but I don't know anything about the quality of blu-ray players or receivers other than what i've read about Yamaha. Thanks so much for your help. FYI I would like to use the unit primarily for surround sound satellite T.V. movies and music.

You will get more out of your home theater if you build it yourself. You will also get more out of your home theater if you buy good equipment. That Panasonic is a pretty good deal for $600. However, I wasn't able to find out if it's Blu-ray v2.0. I also noticed it's a passive sub, not powered, and it gives no indication as to what your connection options are.

So, this system has the usual limitations of a home theater in a box (no possibility of expansion, limited connection options, weak speakers), but as far as packaged deals go this is a pretty good one. A (better) DIY option would cost you about $850.

For that price a HTIB ( Home Theater in a Box ) is your best option. There is nothing you could put together yourself for that price.

Back