What happens if you cook rotten fish? Is it safe to eat it?

maryfaye

Mar 2, 2013
While I was washing the salmon my mom brought home from the market today, it gave off this really bad smell. I wasn't entirely sure if it really was rotten fish so I decided to bake it in the oven thinking it would kill off the bacteria and everything. When it came out of the oven, it turned out just fine and the bad smell was gone. So now I'm wondering if it's safe for me to eat it....

it's fine as long as u cook it long enough.. if not, the worst thing that'll happen is u having diarrohea... not too bad.. less pounds for u

It is safe to eat.

I once had raw chicken that went bad, but I cooked it anyway and the smell was so disgusting, I gagged and nearly vomitted. If the fish was rotten, it would have smelled 10x worse after being baked.

Don't eat it. Your health is worth a lot more than a few dollars lost by throwing it out. Always remember, "When in doubt, throw it out."

OK. Here it goes.
Most people believe that fish smells bad. This is entirely not true.
Very fresh fish does not smell at all except for a whiff of ocean in the case of saltwater fish and seafood.
When the fish is a few hours to a couple of days old, still fresh and provided it has been kept at low temperatures, it start to smell like...fish. However this is not a very pleasant smell (the kind you smell at some supermarkets and you'd rather stay away. It still is good enough to eat but does not make for a happy nose.
Rotten is when it's gone bad and bacteria has invaded. It smells really bad and that's when you need to trash it.
If you ate the fish and you're not extremely sick and in pain then it was not rotten at all.
If cooking or baking removes the smell then it is not rotten but just not the freshest possible.

If it was rotten it would still smell bad after cooking AND taste like Sh*t.
Lucky for you. Why would you take such risks when you thought it was rotten?

Back