What do you think of the plot for my book?

LiamMurray

Jun 14, 2010
I hope to write a sort of post apocalypse-y type book, and already have a plot but would quite like you're opinions-

Garret (surname please) is an American student living in Chicago at some fictional university. During the summer he comes home with childhood friend (a girl, uncommon yet cool name please). Slowly, after knowing each other for years, the relationship Garret and *girl* develops into a relationship.

It's around about this point I want to destroy the world (words I never thought I'd hear myself say), but I want to kill the population in a unique way, not some crappy virus plot that's been done a million times before, (I'd like some suggestions for ways to do this, but at the same time I want it to be able to possibly affect Garret and some others in different ways, ie. I toyed with the idea of having a group of viral explosions, one of which Garret is close to when it detonates, killing him, but at such close range the virus changes and regenerates him, giving him some form of special ability (healing or immortality or something which can be related to the fact that he died). After this, Garret returns to his parents house, finding the entire population of the town dead, to discover his mother dead by gunshot wound and his father vanished, leaving only a note saying "sorry". After this, he looks for *girl*, but cannot find her at her house, whilst hunting for *girl*/his father he finds a shopping centre where two other people are hiding, Vince and Damon.

Damon has the same ability as Garret and whilst the three talk, it's revealed that Damon was at close range to a bomb as well. The three stay together at the Mall for a short while, and then those who died in the blasts begin to regenerate also, but come back as mindless, zombie like creatures. Garret, Damon and Vince fight a group of these zombies when trying to rescue another group of survivors (Iris, Maggie, Siobhan and Roland), they fight the zombies off using weapons from a hunting shop in the centre, and the other group join Garret, Damon and Vince living in the Mall. Every day, Garret goes further and further a field hunting for *girl* but only finds more and more zombies. After a while, another group stumble across the Mall, (Warren, Mark, Richard and *another girl, the main love interest and also has Garret's ability, so cool name please, but for now lets call her Rachael, as two *girl*s is a bit too complicated). Warren is a survivalist, and Mark and Richard follow him pretty much slavishly, whereas Rachael is just trying to find others, they too join the group at the Mall. Tensions rise between Warren and Garret, Warren disagreeing with Garret's phylosophy of trying to keep everyone safe, not just himself, whereas a close friendship develops between Garret and Rachael.

But just as Garret is finally accepting *girl*s death, she turns up at the Mall with her own group (herself, Owen and Anya), Anya is quickly found to have been attacked and wounded by one of the zombies and the group do their best to help her, Garret having been in the process of studying medicine at University. After these arrive, the previously infrequent attacks on the mall by zombies increase exponentially.

The relationship between Garret and *girl* reignites immediately, leaving the situation between Garret and Rachael awkward. Tensions overflow between Garret and Warren when he finds Warren has been stealing food from the youngest of the group to feed himself, and this ends in a fight, which is interupted by one of the lookouts alerting the group that an enormous horde of zombies is approaching the Mall, whilst preparing, Damon finds Anya outside, walking towards the horde, and it turns out that she is what's been bringing the zombies to them, a venom in the zombie that attacked her acting as a beacon which allows them to find her, she wants to simply let them take her, but Damon, Garret and the others object strongly, keeping her under constant supervision.

Ever the survivalist, Warren kills the Owen, who was guarding Anya, and attempts to publicly kill her too, only just stopped by Garret, Damon, Vince and Rachael. Warren however, has positioned Mark away from the scene with a rifle, but as he takes the shot, *girl* notices him just in time and takes the bullet, dying in Garrets arms. Garret beats Warren to unconcsiousness, whilst Damon and Vince hunt down Mark and Richard, bringing them to the scene of the chaos and tying them up, with an unconcsious Warren, against a pillar.

Only after this, does Rachael notice Anya has vanished. Garret finds her outside and tries to stop her, but she begs him to let her go, stating too many have already died for her, and the zombies will never stop hunting her. Shaken, Garret can do naught but watch as the zombies devour her, most of the horde dissapate, but some carry on towards the Mall, and the group organise to combat the threat quickly, repelling the z
I think I may have gone on for too long, but I need to finish so here we go:

repelling the zombies but sustaining many casualties (Iris, Maggie, Roland and Vince amongst the dead). Garret expells Warren, Mark and Richard from the group, refusing to kill them, and the book end with the group burning their dead. Garret is mourning Anya and *girl*, but accepts finally that he has to take full responsibility as a leader.

Well, what do you think? I welcome all coments, creative criticism if you must, plot twists, names, improvements, opinions, anything really, thanks again for bearing with me.

Back