What do you call a religion with no god?

JessicaS

May 13, 2008
If a religion with one god is called monotheistic, and a religion with multiple gods is called polytheistic, then what is a religion with no gods, like Buddhism, called? Atheistic/atheist is the wrong word, that implies that there is no spirituality in it. Or is the commonly accepted definition of atheist only colloquial? Please don't argue that Buddhism isn't technically a religion, it's an example, and I'm specifically asking for those religions that believe in some kind of cosmic energy but not a conscious deity. Thanks :)
I'm not looking for examples of religions, guys, I'm looking for a specific term to describe a group of religions with that trait...

Atheism does NOT imply no spirituality, but if you want to call it non-theistic, then go ahead.

non-theistic or atheistic.

Atheist simply means no believe in a God... it does not imply anything about belief or lack of belief in anything else.

"Atheistic/atheist is the wrong word, that implies that there is no spirituality in it. Or is the commonly accepted definition of atheist only colloquial?"

Well, neither really. When people refer to atheists, especially here, they are really referring to sceptics. An atheistic religion is fine, because atheists can be spiritual.

Firstly, every definition of religion implies that there is a God or Supreme being, and it's varying versions of heaven / hell. Religion is a belief system - that belief being faith that there is a God. Any Atheist or Agnostic group that has similar belief systems to most religions may fall into the category you're looking for - but could not really be called a religion. No God, no religion.

The Main group that comes to mind, that believes in self-development, altruism, the development of others, and general improvement of the world as a whole through education, behaviour and spirituality is the "Masons". They do not define "God", but you must believe in a Superior power. That is, you could be a Jew, Muslim, Christian or other religious believer, but still be a "Mason"

Back