what can i cook using these ingrediants? prefrebly a soup?

Banana

Jun 22, 2008
butternut squash
sweet potato
carrots
onions
garlic
ginger
nutmeg

i am in charge of making dinner tonight and feel like something butternut squash and sweet potato.
i could probably find some extra ingediants in the kitchen somewhere,
but i dont have any vegetable stock or stock cubes, only beef stock cubes but the people i am cooking for are vegeterians so i was wondering if i can use them?
thanks

While stock would be best, I don't think it'd be that bad to just use water in your soup instead of stock/broth- with the sweetness of the squash, sweet potato, and carrots, the richness of sauteed garlic and onion, and the spicy hint of nutmeg (and maybe some other herb, like sage?), you won't miss the stock one bit.

Just roast the squash, sweet potato, and carrots until all tender, to bring out their sugars and give them that awesome flavor. Let cool while you saute the garlic and chopped onions, then add the roasted, coarsely chopped veggies and water and whatever herbs you're going to use; bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, then blend until smooth. Then a bit of salt, pepper, adjust seasonings, and serve.

Add a dollop of cream or sour cream and maybe some croutons, and yummy!

To make a good vegetable stock, simply put about 6 cups of water in a large soup pot. Add salt, sage, garlic, thyme, basil [whatever] and ANY vegetables in your fridge... Doesn't matter if they are totally random as long as it's not corn kernels [though I have never tried with an entire cob]

Boil for an hour or so, adding water as it evaporates or to dilute it, strain into a bowl, throw away everything but the liquid and there is your stock. I do this all the time and it doesn't matter what vegetables you use..

The items you've listed would make a soup, especially if you have a cream base. I think you would be happier with a souffle though. Adding some Cinnamon and honey would be good also..

Back