What are your thoughts on this story plot?

megg

Jun 1, 2008
I have had this plot in my head for ages and I thought I would run it by some people. Keep in mind, this is an Austen-esque (as in Jane Austen) plot. Very classical with a twist, set in 1800's England. There are really no names, just a plot outline, but to save confusion, I will give them temporary names.

Two girls live with their grandparents because their parents died in a tragic house fire. The younger girl, Sarah, looks up too and idolizes her older sister, Jane. One day, Sarah finds her sister hanging by her neck from the tree out back and it traumatizes her. They find out that Jane was seeing a man who not only broke her heart, but played with her reality, making her feel as if she was going insane. Years later, the grandparents die and Sarah moves from her small country home to the bustling city of London to live with some very distant cousins (at this point she is about 18.) She changes her name to seek revenge for her beloved sister.

Once in London, she works her way up to the higher class to get the attention of the man who drove her sister to end her life, Robert. Sarah makes Robert "fall in love with her." Her motive for revenge is unknown to everyone. Robert has a cousin, Peter, who is in love with Sarah but Sarah is too blinded by revenge to see it.A few years later, Sarah and Robert marry, but Sarah is laying in wait to destroy Robert at the perfect time. Things get complacent until Sarah starts to notice that things aren't quite right.

For instance, Sarah will place an object down and later go look for it only to find that it isn't where she thought it was. Little things that start to make her doubt herself, make her feel like she is going crazy. Robert denies having anything to do with things disappearing and such. It starts to get worse until one night she wakes up, half emerged in a tub of water, nearly drowning. She can see Robert and he acts as is he is saving her from drowning herself when she knows full well Robert was trying to kill her. Robert has her taken to a mental hospital, where she swears she is not crazy, but no one will listen. Finally she is released and she is ready to take out her revenge.

I won't say how this happens because it would spoil everything if I chose to actually write it. Let's just say, she DESTROYS him. Keep in mind that this is just the tip of the iceberg, I know there are a few plot holes, yadda yadda. It is just a work in progress. These things I know. I would like any opinions, how well the idea is, any critiques, hate it, like it, love it. Be truthful, but not cruel please.
Thank you all in advance.
To the man who told me this was hollow and has been done before; I think you have mistaken this for a vampire love story. How many of those are there? I am an AVID reader, especially of classics of this time period (All the the Bronte sister's novels, every Jane Austen novels...Jane Eyre happens to be my favorite piece of literature all of time. I know this period,) and others still and I have never read anything close to this. I wouldn't want to write something if it was so closely related to something else. Please, do not tell me it has been done a hundred times if you have no examples to give me. The only thing I can FAINTLY see related to a small portion of this would be the stage play "Gaslight" and even then, it is so minute, it wouldn't feel like I was copying someone's idea. Please, give me examples and then I will take your comment seriously.

Forewarned, this is a critique ;)

What I love is that you are trying to revive a classic kind of writing :) You don't see this very often with novelists these days, well sort of; with how many books get published they could be out there, just not seen. The revenge aspect is nice, and I am sure Shakespeare would hug you for that, not many people willing to show revenge in their protagonist.

If I remember right, and I only read one or two JA short stories, but didn't she write in-a-more "women are not the weaker sex" kind of attitude? You're story starts out with a women committing the weakest act of all, suicide. People are bitter, angry and just down right crazy when it comes to it, so you could almost give her any reason to go after her sisters ex-boyfriend. Also, doing this will give you more wiggle room when you start writing, and now to the writing.

You can do it! One tip I use when I write my short stories: use a bullet point for your sections. this can help keep your story and all its pieces in place.

Back