Went coyote hunting with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

studd_16_1

Jun 18, 2008
5 stands 0 coyotes. We went out to an area where we saw a coyote that was dead on the dirt road between Treemonton and Snowville. We called far away from the truck in to the wind and had a wide range of site to the sides of us.We used mp3 calls including locater howls, female invitation, group howls, rabbit in distress, fawn in distress etc.We even had a rabbit decoy. Fully camouflaged our guns and face. We used coon urine on a cotton swab for a cover scent. BUT NO LUCK.. What did we do wrong? We kinda feel discouraged.

without being there is is impossible to answer
maybe you were in an over hunted area
dont give up
forget the howling and group howling
those are many times the least effective
go for the food calls
do not get discouraged
sometimes it takes a lot of trying to get all conditions right but the first time you call one in you will be hooked
that's why it is called hunting and not shooting
i have killed more yotes than i remember over many years and still each one is a fun and exciting as the first
i will also say that i tried many weekends and many stands before i finally got my first
i never quit
if it were that easy many of the people that answer here with no knowledge would be doing it
do yourself a favor and join VHA ( varmint hunters association ) online
look 'em up
they are out of pierre south dakota and with your membership you will get the best varmint hunting magazine you will ever read
don't buy at news stand as those are watered down due to peta freaks
you seem like you have been serious enough to gear up
now you just need technique
yotes are smart and get smarter all the time
you will get it with persistent effort
effort put in the right places that is

set up where you have seen tracks of heavy coyote tracks and spray coyote sent on a near by tree and it will attracted them (if its legal i know in some places it isn't)

You forgot to tell old Wile E. to pick up his latest order from Acme.

Seriously, it sounds if they just weren't there that day, wherever there is. That's why it's called "hunting," not "killing."

how long were you out there maybe too much calling is your problem or most likely you just had a bad day i went on a deer hunting trip for
3 days with no kills so try again

Back