Week 8: Deep Sleepers and DFS Bargains

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
So the Zach Mettenberger and DGB stack that I was crazy for made me look crazy more than anything in Week 7. However, Michael Crabtree, Michael Floyd, and Ladarius Green all produced. And while Tavon Austin (I like him a lot again this week versus San Francisco) and Theo Riddick didn’t blow the doors off of fantasyland, they did finish in WR3/flex territory by the week’s end. Heading into Week 8 there are four teams on a bye and quite a few star names sidelined. To help get you through, I’ve got a player at every position and super sneaky grab that will have most of you asking “Who?!?”
To review… all of the below players are owned in less than fifty percent of Yahoo leagues (one of them is completely un-owned). They’re not the obvious picks, and they’re not without their risks, but that’s why they’re so cheap! I’d never advocate taking all of these guys, but rather utilizing them if a manager were in a pinch at a position or aiming to build a “stars and scrubs” sort of DFS lineup. Have at it!
[Yahoo Daily Fantasy Football: First place wins $100K in our $600K contest for Week 8]
Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, New York Jets ($37)
He may not be an elite name leading a high-flying offense, but Fitzpatrick has been supremely consistent. Averaging nearly 250 yards and 2 TDs per outing, the Jets’ signal caller is currently the fourteenth best QB in fantasy. He’s also operating behind a pass blocking unit that Football Outsiders ranks as the best in the league, which is part of the reason he’s only taken four sacks on the season.
Coming off of back-to-back QB1 fantasy weeks, Fitzpatrick will travel to the Black Hole to take on the Raiders’ thirty-second ranked pass defense. A unit that’s allowing an average of over 300 passing yards per game to opposing QBs, Oakland is a super plus matchup for the Harvard alum. Acknowledging that the Raiders are tougher on the ground than they are through the air, Gang Green will be forced to elevate their game. With two receivers who are among the top ten fantasy producers per snap, Fitzy figures to make some fantasy magic in NoCal.
Charles Sims, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($15)
The story in Tampa Bay’s backfield continues to be Doug Martin, but Sims has been a sneaky good PPR play since Week 3. Producing RB2 numbers in three of his past four contests, Sims is averaging 66 total yards per outing. Third in team targets, the second-year back has been a reliable check down option for QB Jameis Winston while TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has been sidelined with a shoulder injury. Heading into Week 8 he figures to be heavily featured with both Vincent Jackson and Louis Murphy out for the game.
*Going into the Georgia Dome on Sunday, Sims will look to take advantage of the Falcons who are giving up the fifth most fantasy points to opposing running backs. Interestingly, Atlanta has given up the most catches and receiving yards to RBs this season at 58 and 466 respectively. As a pass-catching back that Football Outsiders ranks among the league’s six most valuable, the matchup heavily favors Sims. Available in nearly 70 percent of Yahoo leagues and at only $15 in DFS, he’s the surest sleeper of the week.
[Week 8 rankings:*Quarterback |*Running Back |*Receiver | Flex |*Tight End | All Positions]
Stevie Johnson, WR, San Diego Chargers ($14)
My love of Stevie Johnson knows no bounds. From his precise route running and versatility as a player to his irreverent attitude, I dig the dude. I was loud about his sleeper status heading into 2015 and while an injury momentarily derailed my personal hype train, it’s time to get back on board. Coming off of a down week in which he shook off some rust, Johnson is poised to return to early season form.
A top-fifteen fantasy play for the first two weeks of the season, Johnson averaged six targets per game while Antonio Gates was out. His opportunities decreased once the veteran TE returned, but Gates is once again injured (knee) and expected to miss his sixth contest of the season. In his stead, Ladarius Green was the play last week against the Raiders, but this week at Baltimore Johnson makes more sense.
The Ravens are stingy against the middle and have allowed only Gary Barnidge to score all season. However, they’re much more generous to opposing wideouts. In fact, over their last two games, they’ve given up four scores to WRs. With San Diego calling the second most passing plays and the Ravens allowing the fifth most passing yards in the league, Johnson should out-produce his DFS price tag and ownership percentage with ease.
Crockett Gillmore, TE, Baltimore Ravens ($15)
Gillmore made his debut on my deep sleepers week heading into Week 2. But after suffering a calf injury shortly thereafter, his ownership and appeal waned. Understanding that fantasy football is a week-to-week game, however, he’s back on my radar.
Returning to full health in Week 7, Gillmore was second in team targets, hauling in five balls for 53 yards. He appears to have once again usurped WR Kamar Aiken as a safety valve for QB Joe Flacco. Facing a Chargers secondary that’s allowed four TDs to TEs so far this season, Gillmore has top ten appeal in Week 8. With Charles Clay, Julius Thomas, and Jordan Reed all on a bye, the 6-foot-6 and 270 pound tight end is primed to produce.
[Yahoo Daily Fantasy Football: First place wins $100K in our $600K contest for Week 8]
Nick Williams, WR, Atlanta Falcons ($10)
After WR Leonard Hankerson exited Week 7 with a hamstring injury, Williams entered in his stead and converted three of five targets for 43 yards. It’s worth noting that Williams received more looks than Roddy White and was also on the field for his highest number of snaps (41) so far this season. An undrafted free agent out of Connecticut, Williams is a slot receiver who has excelled on special teams and was the Huskies’ all-time leader in kick-off return yards.
A member of the 2013 Redskins practice squad, Williams has history with OC Kyle Shanahan. As we’ve seen with Hankerson, that connection and familiarity with Shanny’s playbook certainly bodes well for a player’s usage. Additionally, head coach Dan Quinn has praised Williams’ work ethic and reliability, which suggests that the 24-year-old could be in line for a big game were Hankerson to miss time, as expected.
Hosting the Buccaneers on Sunday afternoon, Williams will face a secondary that is giving up the fifth most fantasy points to opposing WRs. Having allowed six scores to wideouts in their past three outings, Tampa Bay’s cornerbacks are far from shutdown. Admittedly a sleeper so deep that there’s a chance he won’t wake up, Williams has oodles of surprise potential. He’s a gutsy play for desperate owners who appreciate the process.
Update: Williams was held out of practice on Thursday due to a hamstring injury. It is unclear right now if he will get the start on Sunday. If he sits then rookie receiver Justin Hardy would make his professional debut. I prefer Williams on Sunday, as it’s hard to trust a rookie out of the gate. That said, Hardy is a very agile athlete with big hands. If the youngster were to perform well, there’s a chance he could overtake Hankerson.
Follow Liz on Twitter @LizLoza_FF

Back