Volvo XC90 dvd player - can you get sound to play via the car's speakers

soconfusedecom

Apr 17, 2012
instead of the headphones? Hi!
I've just brought a 2004 volvo xc90 d5 SE UK model which has the volvo head rest rear screens with the 10 disc dvd player in the boot. It's genuine volvo and from what I can make out the only way to get sound is via wireless headphones, which we didn't get included with the car. As my children are quite young, I'd prefer it if they didn't wear the headphones and was wondering whether there is any way that I can get the dvd sound to play through the car's speakers (they're not attached so I can't just press a button on the audio player).

Has anyone managed to do this, as I've seen lots of questions about it online but never any solutions. If so, how?!!!

Please help, and many thank you's in advance!!
Thanks for the manual, but my dvd player is different, not sure if it's a UK only version or something, but from what I've googled, everyone else has the same question as me! My dvd player 10 disc changer is in the boot under the cargo area, then the AV input is in the middle of the two rear seats, then the screens are in the front headrests. There aren't any switches or buttons anywhere, everything is done by the remote, and the dvd system as it currently is, isn't attached to the car's speaker system.

I've read somewhere that someone had managed to do it with a FM transmitter which is used for iPods, and they had plugged that into the AV input to then transmit the sound to the ca's audio system...has anyone tried this successfully, as the person who mentioned he was going to do this never replied with whether it worked or not!

thanks again for the manual though but not mine I'm afraid xx

The manual is online here;
http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owners-information/MY12/XC90/OM_1146/XC90_owners%20manual_MY12_EN_tp14152.pdf

My understanding is that if you switch the 'AUX/RSE' switch next to the power socket in the centre armrest to 'RSE', the audio stream from the rear screens is played through the car's speakers.
The radio's slector (the right hand side round button) can then be used to select 'AUX' - see page 240 in the manual.

Back