Validating critical opinion

blkbelt204

Mar 30, 2008
Do you think it's necessary to have relevant skills or knowledge to back up your critique of others, and be willing to prove it; or do you think anyone who posts their material in the public domain is fair game for a piss taking from all comers?

My personal opinion is that unless you're going to offer something constructive, or you have relevant skills / knowledge, you're best off staying quiet if you haven't got anything worth saying. You're just being a troll, hater, whatever, and frankly the Interwebz has enough of those.

You can be all upset about haters, trollz or whatever. But if it's up on the internet for popular consumption then it is open game. Like it or not.

Obviously if a person goes back and offers his reasoning and constructive critique then fair enough. But it's not a requirement. Well... perhaps it's only a requirement if they feel the need to gain your approval. Most won't.

The two are not even mutually exclusive. You can do both... take the piss and offer serious, validated critique. Why not?

As per the example in the thread that generated this one.... anyone who's trying to break into show biz and puts his reel up on the net... well he's going to be better off to get thick skin and be aware that it's open season on his abilities. Simple as that.

Fair game, cause its on the net. But just saying some opinion without any reason why you think this way is a little silly to me. And yeah it can be trolling, it depends. (maybe its my history background; we were always taught if you have an opinion - a thesis - you have to back it up.)

No. If that were the case I literally couldn't talk in any meaningful way about 99.9% of things that exist in the universe. Which would be boring.
However...some relevent experience is helpful of course. It lends weight to what is being said. It's not necessary but it helps.

The problem there is that the thread about your mate that prompted this thread was chock full of things worth saying. It started as a vague pee-take from Slip but also included some really relevent (and constructive) points on content, acting, showreel construction and flow, choreography etc etc.

Before you're critical of other's criticism it's important to be critical of your own.

I think it depends. I wouldn't pick an argument on Physics with AZeitung or Law with Timmy or Picking up hot chicks with Slip, 'cos I know Ima get pwned, but I don't think a person needs to be a subject matter expert to present on opinion on a given topic.

It depends on if the person in question is admittedly only giving an opinion or if they are presenting it as fact.

You can give an opinion on anything, but only a considered opinion on some things

Yeah that's what I was getting at.

BUT...as mentioned. The comments on the vid in question WERE by and large coming from a position of experience.
I know roughly what a good arm-bar looks like (sadly gone are the days when I could do one with any skill) and I know how to put a portfolio or showreel together for a good impact. Slip knows something about film work. EVERYONE (pretty much) knows stilted and unconvincing dialogue when they see it.

Isn't that a bit of a harsh critcism of his criticism of other people's criticism? Maybe you should look in the mirror before you are critical of people who are critical of other people's criticism?

True , but at the risk of sounding worse than who your engaging in debate as PASmith said, in order to argue your point,opinion or view with validation, some type of experience in said topic goes a long way.
Otherwise you end up looking rather close minded not to mention ignorant.

The flip side of course is a lot of people will judge, pigeon-hole, label everything they see and hear until greater understanding of said topic changes their mind and then some wont even do that.

As far as media goes, there's nothing wrong with saying you don't like something.

Hating on things that others like is just trolling and iofftopicture. Twilight bashing, for instance... just say you don't like Twilight, and be done with it! If other people do like Twilight, that's none of your business and doesn't affect you at all!

Yeah, sure, but I'm still well within my rights to question the taste and/or mental stability of a fan of the Twilight series!

Absolutely not. This argument often comes up in relation to art; if you can see that someone has drawn something incorrectly, do you need to be able to draw it better before you point out their error? Surely not. You just need a working pair of eyes.

Similarly, if you take a bite of cake and it tastes bad, can you not comment unless you could bake a better cake, or are you just using a functional set of taste buds?

Methinks Moosey has run afoul of the Women's institute at the local village fair?
Second prize in the cake baking I'll bet. The memory still smarts.

I don't bear a grudge. A lot of elderly ladies were roundhouse kicked that day.

Back