UK driving tests are crap

Apr 14, 2008
I just failed my driving test cause some guy thought he could get off a roundabout before me how lovely so I am in such a mood today .
Anybody else think the UK driving system is crap? I heard that its alot easier to pass your test in America anyone know if that is true?

Yes it is, so now we have people on the roads who are too old and slow to drive, people who can't see properly, idiotic impolite drivers who cause accidents.

My grandfather was 71 years old and had friggin sleep apnia and couldn't feel his feet. He caused 3 accidents (2 by falling asleep at the wheel), and they didn't revoke his drivers lisence or make him retake the test.

Exactly my point after I failed and got back to my house I walked up the shop to buy some snacks to cheer me up as I was walking some maniac was doing 90 mph in a 30 mph place. So he is deemed a safe driver yet cause some one else cut me up Iam deemed unsafe? give me a break.

Yes, heartily agree!

IMO they should be much more extensive: the better to reflect 'real' road user conditions/experience.

Also, if I was incharge , driving a set course within a specified time would be a part, thus barring the 'too-slow' drivers.

ps: IMH experience the test is a bit of a lottery, it's all down to 'on the day' stuff. Take heart and better luck next time.

I don't know if it's any easier or harder but pretty much once you pass the test you are done. Barring unusual circumstances you will never be tested again.

Here's something funny for you to ponder, my drivers licence expires in 2034.

I suggest you get back in for your test ASAP.

Thanks to Europe, the tests are going to get even harder. Especially for motorbikes, where you will have to do an emergency stop and some slalom round cones at 50mph (high speed manouvers). Currently its only an e-stop from 30mph.

the uk driving test should include motorway driving and parking in car parks. you should do emergency stop every test and have to re-take your test every 10 years. also women should not be allowed to drive

Personally I'm all in favour of people reforming the whole damn driving system, it's all messed up. I mean, we're talking about a country where the penalty for driving without a liscence, insurance and not having kids in the car wear seat belts is £180.00!

The cost of my test was $130, the cost of the tax disk is £170 and the cost of insurance for a 21 year old male driver even with 3 years no claims is about £500.

As far as I'm concerned that sort of penalty is a bargain!

I'm learning to drive right now in the UK, seems to be going pretty well. I've still got to do my theory yet though.

hunter_kaval>What was the exact reason they gave for you failing?

Aye, what was your points score (including those serious and dangerous ones, and the "test terminated in the interests of public safety"... )?

The theory test is easy, it really is common sense, but as someone else said the practical test is as much about how lucky you get with other road users on the day as it is about your own skill. If another motorist acts stupidly on test day you might very well have to deal with a situation you have never encountered whilst learning through no fault of your own. I only passed my practical after 3 tests and i know somebody who took 5 fails before they actually succeeded, by the end of it they had paid a fortune in driving related bills and ended up completely demotivated with the whole idea of driving anyway!

Having said all this it's a great feeling when you do pass and get to go out driving on your own for the first time, with nobody in the passenger seat telling you you shouldn't be doing 45 in a 40 zone

I took four tries to get my license. It's certainly not something I'd like to do again!

If you keep failing, it's worth changing instructors - it worked for me! The instructor I passed with was a complete paranoiac who kept telling me that "they're all out to get you! Don't trust them!". It worked though. Even though in my test I had 2 examiners in the car (one examining me, one examining them!) and, while driving down a country lane, I came face-to-face with a small child peddling their bike down the wrong lane into the flow of traffic.

My mate first failed his test because 'allegedly' he almost ran over a Deer.

Basically he was on the motorway and saw it come out the fields, the Deer wasn't even the size (of his perspective) thumb yet and he was already braking to a slow 20mph and suddenly the Examiner pushed the emergency brake and started screaming and shouting at how he almost ran over Bambi (who was at least 50 or so metres away)

2nd Time he failed the test - failure to do a reverse corner parking without hitting the curb.

My Mum's friend had a Daughter who took a 2 week intensive, passed the test in her 1st go.....had an accident 2 days after she got the licence.

HK, not that i doubt your version of events i find it difficult to believe that you were failed because someone cut you up, what did the examiner say on the debrief?

I passed my test at 17 on the first attempt although that was 15 years ago and the test was a bit easier no doubt!! (brag, brag!!)

As for the system of getting a licence, you can drive how you want after you pass so no matter how stringent the test unless you fit all cars with a monitoring device there is no way to legislate for bad driving from people with licences. There are holes in the driving test i think though, as was mentioned motorway drving for example, i think that learning how to deal with adverse road conditions should be included, skid pan training for example, which is great fun by the way when you can have a play!

I get to drive police cars, and to be able to, pass the equvalent of the AIM test and then some extra parts on response driving, the biggest thing that i have learnt from that training and the experience of driving response is that assume that everyone else is a totally crap driver and plan for them making the dumbest manouver possible in front of you. That way you will be in the correct road position to deal with anything and thats what the examiners would love to see, you being safe, controlled and plannig all elements of your drive. And remember what a flashing indicator means, this bulb is working nothing else.

Stan O'Kella made some good points there.

When you see the number of awful drivers on our roads (especially on the motorways) it makes the idea of compulsory retesting every few years seem like a good one. It would take a lot to administer, but what's the cost (in all senses of the word) of bad driving?

Thing is, if you tested people every week they could still drive like morons for the other 6 days!!!

I dont think there really is an answer other than big brother being sat in the passenger seat and i dont think any of us would want that, except the govenrment because of the revenue they would make from the fines.

Yes, but those who failed would at least be off the roads for while. Filtering out some of the most severely incompetant would surely be a good thing.

For those who slip through the net , I'm afraid there is nothing which can force people to drive properly. There is a limit to the level of deterrence which can practibly be applied.

True dude, guess we just have to concentrate on being the best driver you can be and be alive (JKDC alert) behind the wheel to deal with any hazard that presents itself.

Back