Tony Stewart, Lewis Hamilton switch rides at Watkins Glen

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada

This was fun: on Tuesday afternoon, Tony Stewart and Lewis Hamilton participated in a "Seat Swap" that saw Smoke climbing into Hamilton's ride, and vice versa, for a spin around Watkins Glen.​

Stewart came away impressed with the handling of Hamilton's 2008 Formula 1 car. "It's just amazing what the capabilities of the car are," Stewart said. "I told the guys on pit road out there that it's probably going to make my crew chief a little more stressed during the weekends because I'm going to want it to handle like that all the time. I don't think we're ever going to get it there."​

Hamilton, in turn, was pleased with the experience of the stock car: "With the damp conditions, I was braking early, thinking this car is not going to stop," he said. "In actual fact, I could brake quite a lot later. Whilst on the TV it looks like I'm drifting all the time; I didn't feel like I was drifting in the car. Felt like I had quite a stable rear end. I was able to pick up the power. The grip was quite good through all the corners." Hamilton even got off a "shake and bake" reference while on the track.​

Stewart has open-wheel experience, but even that didn't prepare him for the experience of a F1: "It's just amazing how far you can charge the corner. It's easy to see why it's hard for these guys to overtake because it's not a long distance from the time you get off the throttle on the brakes to where you're changing directions. It gives you a much greater appreciation for how hard it is for these guys to overtake each other, what that car's actually capable of. It's just incredible the technology behind it."​

And this may not be the last time the two share a track. Stewart has extended an invitation for Hamilton to run at next year's Prelude to the Dream. Of course, that would mean that a Formula 1 champion would have to get his hands dirty, but perhaps it could happen.​

Back