to all you great cooks out there....?

JanetW

Jun 8, 2008
hi, could anyone please give me the recipe for a really tasty stew that i can just put in a slow cooker and leave to cook? all answers really appreciated.

Yes I can. cut up a rib eye into 1 inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper. put 2 Tbl. of oil in a large pan and and stir fry until they start to brown. Transfer to the crock pot. Then cut up carrots, celery, onions into 1 inch pieces I usually do 1 1/2 cups of each. Put them in the same pan as meat was stir fryed in and add 1 more Tbl. of oil and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add two cloves of garlic and fry one more minute. Put in crock pot and pour over two cups of beef stock or beef bullion melted in hot water. Pour over. Add one small can of tomato sauce. Stir all. cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Now, just so you know you can do this without frying anything. just stick everything in the crock pot and cook for 8 hours. The reason for frying is it starts the beef cooking and adds more flavor if you carmelize it and the vegetables get sweeter. But you don't have to if you don't want or if you're in a hurry. It's really good that way too. Bon Appetite. :).

Hi, I just did one last night for dinner, I used diced pork (leg) onion, leek, carrot, swede, parsnip, button mushroom and chestnut mushrooms (all chopped to a similar size) then I used a packet of Peppered beef caserole mix (from Morrisons) it works great with any meat Beef,Pork and Chicken, it is a lovely herby spicy mix makes the 'gravy' of the caserole very tasty, I served this with homemade soda bread (easy recipe, 250g Plain flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 200mls buttermilk, mix all together turn onto a floured surface and knead for 1 min, don't worry it is a very soft sticky mixture when turned out, form a round then cut a cross in the top, bake for 40 mins 200c)
Or sometimes I serve it with baby potoatoes its up to you, but I think you will enjoy this recipe and use it again and again ( I do, its a hit in our house) Good luck

Back