The Juice: Mark Teixeira hits grand slam for first homer of season

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
The Juice returns for season No. 6! It's almost eligible for free-agency! Stop by daily for news from the action, along with great photos, stats, video highlights and more.

firstpitchBLS.jpg

It took slugger Mark Teixeira a lot longer than he or the New York Yankees wanted, but his first home run of 2013 — a grand slam, no less — was a key blow in a 7-4 victory against the Cleveland Indians on Monday night. Teixeira suffered a wrist injury in spring training, hadn't played all season and hadn't exactly jumped off the disabled in midseason form, but taking Justin Masterson deep in the third inning is just what he and the Yankees were looking for.

''We needed that,'' Teixeira said. ''I know it's going to take a few weeks to get back in the rhythm of playing every day and seeing big league pitching every day, but this is a good first step.''

Pen pals: Brett Gardner hit a tiebreaking single in the sixth to help the Yankees win in Andy Pettitte's rocky return from the disabled list. The bullpen locked down Cleveland's lineup, including returning broseph Nick Swisher, allowing just one hit over 4 1/3 combined innings.

Grace under pressure: Brian Cashman's daughter sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" and seemed to do a good job from accounts on the ground. MLB.com didn't post video, though.

Not what the Indians needed: Losing shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to a strained right quadriceps. To the DL, he's doing.

http://l.yimg.com/os/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/firstpitchBLS.jpg

MORE SCORES

Dodgers 2, Padres 1: That'll do, Puig. That'll do.

Astros 2, Angels 1: Arte Moreno's like, "I gotta pay for this? For this?"

Mariners 4, White Sox 2: Raul Ibañez, on the 13th pitch of the at-bat, took John Danks deep for a big fly.

Your browser does not support iframes.

Athletics 10, Brewers 2: That lefty Tommy Milone, he can do a little of this, a little of that, and he doesn't need a jacket so take it right back to the dugout, kid. The A's have won 15 of 17.

Phillies 7, Marlins 2: Domonic Brown is a freaking force of nature, no matter what month it is.

Reds 3, Rockies 0: Someone, please let Jay Bruce know when his home run lands. Thanks.

Braves 7, Pirates 2: Remember when Kris Medlen couldn't lose? Then remember when he couldn't win? Well, he just won again.

Cardinals 7, Diamondbacks 1: Arizona manager Kirk Gibson called Lance Lynn "deceptive," but he meant it in a complimentary way, so don't get all whatever because Gibby.

quoteBLS.jpg

''I'm not really big on numbers. I watch my at-bats every day, see which ones are good and try to keep improving.''

— Phillies slugger Domonic Brown, who has 14 home runs since May 1.​

photoBLS.jpg

swishteix.jpg

threefactsBLS.jpg

The Brewers acquired infielder Juan Francisco from the Braves for minor league pitcher Thomas Keeling.

• Trevor Cahill had zero strikeouts over five innings and allowed five earned runs, breaking a streak of 29 starts in which he had allowed four or fewer.

• Brian McCann recorded career hit No. 1,000.

Hey, there. You like baseball? Follow @bigleaguestew, @Townie813, @AnswerDave and @MikeOz on Twitter. Also check out the BLS Facebook Page.

Back