The engine died on my truck while I was driving. What's wrong with my '96 Dodge Ram?

fisher_man_matt

Dec 3, 2008
First off, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this. It's pretty awesome that you take your time to help others out. I really appreciate it.

My truck is a '96 Dodge Ram, 2wd, auto, 5.2 with 275,000 miles. I know that the truck is very old and has high mileage, but getting a new one isn't an option right now. The check engine light came on and a scan indicated a random misfire and misfires on each cylinder (1-8).

I disconnected the battery and swapped the plugs and coil. The engine has been running rough, especially below 2000 RPM's. The truck would skip and shake. Whenever the truck would start running bad, I could ease off and the "get on it" a little causing the transmission to downshift and things would typically smooth out.

Today I was on my way home and the truck started acting up. I eased off the gas, heard a pop, and the engine died and wouldn't re-fire. The engine turns over freely and I can smell that it's getting gas.

Any thoughts??

Back