Teeing Off: Which golfers would you take in an NFL fantasy draft?

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
teeing_off_which_golfers_would_you_take_in_an_nfl_fantasy_draft.jpg
Welcome to Teeing Off, where Devil Ball editor Jay Busbee and head writer Shane Bacon take a day's topic and smack it all over the course. Suggest a future topic by writing [email protected], or hit us on Twitter at @jaybusbee and @shanebacon. Today, we chat it up about the impending NFL season (as represented there by Drew Brees) ... and how it relates to our favorite golfers (as represented there by some guy named Jack).

Busbee: It's football time! And I know we're a golf blog here, but let's do a toe-dip into the NFL here. (My fantasy team is Shama Lama Ndamukong, and I've got ... nah. Not going there.) Anyway, let's do a little cross-sport speculation. Now, with the exception of maybe Charley Hoffman and JB Holmes, any golfer trying to play football would get snapped in half. But from a mindset perspective, which players do you think have what it takes, upstairs and in the spine, to match up with NFL'ers? And which positions would they play?

Bacon: I've thought about this for a couple of days, and these are my best picks. I like Luke Donald with the quarterback mindset. Dustin Johnson seems like he'd be a great kicker (barely remembers what day it is), and Anthony Kim as one of those wide-receivers that seem to think they're bigger than the game. Also, who wouldn't want to run with Phil Mickelson blocking for ya?!

Busbee: I'd take Keegan Bradley as my kicker ... ice water in the veins, baby. I'd throw Steve Stricker out there as my third-down back; the guy's very career is the definition of three yards and a cloud of dust. Rory McIlroy is my preening quarterback who hasn't yet gotten his bell rung by a defense yet; we'll see how he rebounds when he does. And Adam Scott was just born to be holding a clipboard as backup QB. So, tougher mental sport: golf or football?

Bacon: Not just because we are golf homers, but you have to say a golf that is slower is tougher on the mind, right? Things like golf, tennis, bowling, where the action is short but the thinking is long seems harder mentally. But in that same sense, we've had guys like John Daly win two majors, so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Busbee: The Shutdown Corner guys are going to get all ticked off, but yeah, I'm with you. Golf is a mentally tougher sport than football, and it's because of the downtime. The time spent walking between holes, the time spent walking up to the green, the time spent looking over a putt ... that's a lot of time for your mind to wander. Yeah, you have time between plays in football, but golf, you have ... silence.

Anyway, my Falcons are projected to go to the Super Bowl. And your Cardinals, sir?

Bacon: My Cardinals?! Did you get me mixed up with Will Leitch? But if I'm going to defend my current land, I'm picking Arizona to miss the playoffs, mainly because I bet a guy they would, and I can't go against my green. I will say this, even as a golf guy, Thursday night can't come soon enough.

Busbee: Amen, brother. Shama Lama Ndamukong!

And you, friends? Which golfers do you think could play a little football. Also, feel free to share your fantasy football hopes and dreams below.

Back