Tease: A Taste of a Halo Wars Battle

G

gamer

Halo Wars moderator Thunder updated the official Halo Wars forums with a bit of news and a taste of what battles in the Halo-themed RTS will be like when it releases. The ever-so-slight news is that the July 6 monthly update will have some more game details and that July will also see the relaunching of the Halo Wars website which will include a new look and "something cool going on the side as well." Hit the jump for Thunder's description of his Halo Wars match against programmer Rob Fermier.
Picture this. I'm sitting on one side of our open playtest area with one of our programmers who goes by the name of Rob "Xemu" Fermier" having just cleaned my clock in a game of Halo Wars sitting on the other side. To be honest, he had completely mopped the floor with me. It was sad, and a number of people who had just witnessed the game were heckling me. We ended up having a rematch...To further set the scene, we had a new surround sound system hooked up to the TV that I was using and at this point, Producer Chris Rippy stepped in to crank the volume.
The game fired up and I had to weather some early raids by Rob's Warthogs. I managed to survive that and then eventually managed to field a large force of units, the largest force I've seen in the game yet. The screen was almost full. As I wiped out Rob's units, I just kept cranking out more guys. I was using a combination of land and air units that not only looked cool, but was very satisfying to use in Rob's base with the sound of destruction and weapons fire ringing in my ears. I think I may have heard Rob's units calling out for him to resign so they could be spared the onslaught. (This is where Rob stops reading and comes down to my office and challenges me to a game, and I tell him I have to wash my hair.)
Thanks for the game Rob, especially taking it easy on me during the rematch! In short, the game ended up not only really looking like a massive battle scene from Halo, but also sounding like a war from Halo. It won't be too much longer before we'll be comfortable to share more imagery with you all.
That was actually the first of two "Holy...cow" moments for me this month. The second came when... [CENSORED]
I know it's just a long tease, but it still makes me all itchy to play the game.
Halo Wars Update 06.29.07 [Halo Wars Forums]
</img>

More...

Back