Strange metallic-sounding clocking noise on my 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe after having...

RexyG

Jul 29, 2008
...the timing belt replaced? I own a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD with a 2.7L V6. The car has approximately 91,300 miles. I just had the timing belt and timing belt tensioner replaced. When I picked the car up, there was a new metallic-sounding clocking noise present that was not there before. It is proportional to engine speed (i.e. - it is more rapid at high RPMs) and does NOT go away once the engine has warmed up to normal operating temperature. I drove the car for several days and a few hundred miles, and it seems to operate normally (oil pressure and engine temperature are OK, and gas mileage is the same as normal).

I took the car back to find out what this noise was, and the service shop (part of a Hyundai dealer) said the noise was due to a faulty sepertine belt tensioner. They replaced it (for $110), but the noise is still there! Now they say it is the lifters (another $600). They are crooks and liars!

What is this noise? And is it possible (even probable) that their faulty work caused it?

well first you when to a dealer a place that is in busness to seel cars dealer shop guy know little about finding and fixing problem if it dont jump out and hit them... last place in the state you want to have work done .. find a real shop to make repairs.. but first have the one that done the work redo what he did cause he didnt do it right.. really works that way with any dealer... they should be the llast place to go to have work done sorry best you find a better shop for car repair you go to dealer to buy a car or get a part that you cant find any where else.. and yes kind of it could be something they did

Back