Something to stir the meditative mind

BasketBoy

Apr 5, 2008
FOREWORD
Let me begin by saying that I think the dream state distorts time. The perfect example of this is the dreamless nights you have, upon waking you feel like your head only hit the pillow a couple of seconds ago. So with that said I make the assumption that time distorts while the sub-conscious takes over from the conscious state. For those of us who meditate, while meditating it seems like only a few minutes have passed, when in actuality hours have passed. This is going to get very deep from here on in, and I must admit that this realisation is exhilarating and scary simultaneously. Ok, meditation is connection with time, and when I mean time, I mean the grander scale, not just seconds, minutes or hours, I mean the time it is taken to forge suns and solar systems. The sub-conscious mind grasps an unlimited amount of information, while our conscious mind only shows what we are specifically thinking of at that point in time. The dream state is said to run over the previous day’s events. Well I think that our dreams reflect not only our thoughts from the previous day, but also the thoughts we were having during the day, also the thoughts we have had before, although the thoughts that have happened before are only in conjunction with a direct relationship to the thoughts we have had during the said day. This is why I believe that our dreams are often confusing. I must say realistically that no dream interpretation book is going to do your dreams justification; it is down to oneself to fully grasp and understand the symbols and meanings of one’s dreams. I will say however that common beliefs stem from common symbols, which make so called books valuable, but not the ultimate answer. The answers that we seek are found within ourselves. They are from our own interpretation, which most people do not grasp; we believe that we are all so similar that one set of definitions encompasses all. It is saddening to see that people, who may I remind you think of themselves as individuals, look to others for conformation on their beliefs. Alright now that I have said that let me explain where I was trying to go with this material.
THE DREAM STATE AND MEDITAION
If a western was to ask an easterner what meditation was, the eastern would simply laugh, depending on their personality, their response would either be the laugh and end at that, or they would say don’t you daydream? Meditation is an escape from reality which allows the body to heal. It allows the body to heal by letting the body relax and recuperate. However when we dream our mind is still linked with our bodies transferring our emotions and tensions into the body. Tension is sprung from fears, which are misplaced; it is due the mass publication that certain things are associated with evil, also feelings of elation which create feelings of warmth and love: often associated with lovers, families or people who have praised us. Alright now that I have explained how certain aspects of life affect ourselves, let me now continue to say that this directly effects how our bodies rest and heal while in the sleep/dream state. Our minds run over the previous day, thoughts we had during the day and thoughts previous to that day that relate to the thoughts that we experienced that day. When sleeping or meditating most people drift within themselves, very rarely does an out of body experience happen. From personal experience I can say that out of body experiences are the epitome of meditation. For to truly experience the healing capabilities of the body one must meditate, yet not only meditate, actual achieve an out of body experience. This is due the simple fact that when dreaming or meditating the mind is still in direct link with the body, while linking with the body it is transferring emotions and feelings, which translate into tension within the body; therefore inhibiting the healing process that happens while in an unconscious state. To truly achieve an ultimate healing experience one must strive to relinquish the confines of the mortal shell and try to be a separate entity completely. In doing this the body is free from tension that thoughts and emotions bring into the body.
TIME DISTORTION DURING DREAMING & MEDIATION
I mentioned earlier that when meditating time seems to move more slowly. This is true when falling into oneself. When meditating within oneself, it seems as though only a few minutes have passed, when in actuality an hour or more has passed. Personal experience with out of body experiences has shown me that time moves in the opposite direction while out of the body. While in an out of body experience what may seem as a few hours in actual time it’s really only a few minutes.
CONNECTING WITH THE UNIVERSE
Alright this is where it gets really deep. If while going within oneself while meditating distorts time out of proportion to make it seem that only a few minutes actually turns out to be an hour or more, I therefore put to you that we actually lose ourselves within. While losing ourselves within we lose grasp of time and its hold on us, seeming to say “well you don’t wish to acknowledge me I will just drift around you”, causing the perception of time to have sped up. While in the direct contrast with meditating focusing on an out of body experience, while having an out of body experience seems to last for hours, when in reality only a few minutes have passed.
It seems to me that not everything is what it seems. While we look inside ourselves for solace time speeds up, while the direct opposite happens when seeking relief outside of the body. Does the universe have a presence which affects our dreaming and meditation? I think the answers are best left for yourselves to ponder on, I wish merely to point out some observations that I have experienced, I myself believe certain things, which I am not at liberty to discuss. I would but I would prefer to see if the answers that I have come to match with anyone else’s.
MEDITATION
As a footnote I will add that I understand that meditation is the focusing on nothingness, or one thing in particular, however our subconscious mind is still working through the problems we have faced during the day or that our mind has presented. I therefore make the assumption that an out of body experience not only drags the conscious mind out of the body, but allows the limitations of our conscious mind to be released on our subconscious mind, for while meditating within ourselves our conscious mind is still present, and while present so our all our restricting factors of conscious thought. To put it in laymen terms while your conscious mind is shut off you come to answers you would never come up with while conscious. You know those times when you think and think on a problem and cant solve it, fall asleep, wake up and hey presto the answer is there! Its because the conscious mind is hut off allowing the subconscious mind to work at its full potential.

very interesting and the ultimate level in martial arts subconcious control, this is what bruce lee refers to as not existing, his subconcious makes the decisions!

Its just a dream, nothing more nothing less that is all it is, all the things that you see and do while you are awake mixing up in your mind when you are asleep thats it just a dream dont try to work it out and put a meaning to it or you will go nuts and sound like this.

It came to me in a dream and he told me to do this..........................

Or maybe dreaming is better then face reality.

So grand master you are saying that i am nuts? well i think that because you have been conditioned for so long to thinking down a certain vein of thought your first assumption that challenges your thinking is viewed as illegitimate hence the world is a ****ed up place because humanity is not willing to think outside the confines that have been set by the past. And what has the past taught us? nothing we are still slaughtering innocents and sending them to war all to feed corperate greed, it ****ing pisses me of that you who are meant to be grand master has such a limited understanding and view of perspective, for one such as yourself who has seen so much, you should be more willing to be open to new ideas, alas this is not the case you are probably to old and stubborn in your ways to let anything contradict what you have been taught

Oh yeah and your quote "stuff everyone else worry about what your doing" its the reason why so much resentment is in society. no one cares how their actions will affect others. you know if you are even any decent level of a martial artists you should understand that everything has a consequence. the world is a miserable place for those who have compassion because of the individuals like you who have no time for anyone but themselves!

Well well well who spat the dummy, the person that meditates and is at one with the world.
One person says something that you do not like and you get angry.
Grand master that is not me that is Tarm Sarm champion of the north i am a kf practitioner nothing more, you are an angry man and i am not responsible for your hatred against white Australians.
Get over it.

That quote means this.
Dont worry if every one else is doing the wrong thing just make sure that you are doing the right thing.
You have a chip on your shoulder, lose it or lose.

Settle down please darkunkle, gshambrooke is only disagreeing with you.

MAP has strict rules against swearing (even asterisked) and personal attacks. The reason being this detracts from constructive debate, as you have just demonstrated.

cosmicfish and spinmaster, sorry for the swearing. i do believe however that the first jibe was directed quite subtly at me to start with, i was merely saying what i thought. and i am sorry but would it not be better to verbally lash out than to physically lash out? i understand that we study martial arts for self control and discipline. but it is frustrating to look at threads throughout this website and see people with original, yeah ok some are out there, but because it is against the norm of what you have been taught you just criticize rather than maybe exploring the idea and see if it leads anywhere. so gshrambrooke time does not distort? what happens when you have an adrenalin rush? time seems to move slower, your thoughts and actions are heightened, is this not time distortion? for our perception of time is in fact distorted. so what is to say that this would not true for meditation? there is more to the human psyche than anyone understands, i was merely trying to get people to stop looking at things in black and white. although as time has demonstrated some of us are just incapable of change.

ok i will relax and say that i disagree with you here. i understand what you are saying with your quote, but by not doing anything when someone is doing something wrong then you are letting the act go, merely an accomplice to the act. and as for doing the right thing yourself, well it may have a negative connotation for someone else. the truly right thing to do in any situation is think how your actions will affect others. i did well and truly realize that when i wrote that reply i would get a reaction out of people. it wouldn't be discussion if i didn't get a reaction. i merely wish to judge the depth to people on this site and see if was worth my time posting thought provoking issues on here and i really couldn't care if i get booted for this, but you guys really need to think outside the box hey. and the chip on my shoulder extends to the world in general, and i am going to do everything in my power to try and change the way things are, so yes if that chip happens to make me lose then fine by me, but that chip on my shoulder gives me the fire to say the things most of you are all to gutless to say.

Yeah yeah yeah, ive heard it all before you are angry at what things that you cannot change.
What, do you want to argue with every person that you meet, you read to much into something that means very little.

ok at least i am going to try and change things rather than just sitting back and let them take place. it is funny that people assume that one man can't make a change, well the perfect example of this is musicians, real musicians, they have a point to their lyrics which a combination of what they are saying and how they are saying it. its neither one or the other. people will take there own view on things that are worded obscurely which is why i was why i was quite blunt with my explanation. unfortunately people don't like when someone is calling a spade a spade, but i am not going to beat around the bush and try and subtly drop hints at what my meaning is, i am just going to come out and say it. and no arguing with everyone i meet will not change anything. i just did not like the reference at being called nuts by someone who wouldn't even get into the discussion on a hypothetical level, that in my view is nuts. by saying it is a dream you merely demonstrated and reinforced my belief that you and i don't wish to attack you personally, are to stuck in your traditional views to accept something new when thrown onto the table. this is something that makes me laugh, have you seen that taco add? the one where the dad is trying to get the taco to stand up? he trys to change the environment to suite the problem, where as the kid says why not just change the shape of the taco? we take our kids for granted and tell them to speak when spoken to, we tell them what they should learn from their mistakes and how they should treat certain people, now isn't this meant to be a world of equal opportunity? yet children who look at things in a completely different light to us are told to keep their opinions to themselves until they are brainwashed to the same vein of thought that has interfered with their thinking since birth. its funny that we say freedom of choice and freedom of speech only so long as it doesn't offend or disrupt the common thinking sheep of society.

Back