So I am no Jewish because my mom converted to reform judaism?

nataly

Jan 7, 2009
So I deleted my old question cause one people didnt understand very good, let me clarify this My mom converted to Judaism via Reform five years later she met my father who is a born Jew and they got married and then have my sister, brother,sister & me ( I am the youngest) I was raised in a reform synagogue, but I want to convert to orthodox judaism and I really appreciated any help pages and serious answers. Also why Reform would offer conversion if we are no consider Jews? or do I am consider a Jew? I am so confuse cause I being reading if you mom is no Jewish you ae not and I also read Reforms are not Jews even if while growing up I have my Bat Mizvah and everyone at Synagogue told me I was Jewish but now I am no?

I am 19 years old, any help would be appreciated cause I am so confuse with my indentity and religon

Those who convert are considered to be equal to those born into the religion (this is actually stated in the Torah). Furthermore, if your mother is jewish, you are accepted as a jew and do not need to convert.
As for the disagreement between orthodox and reform jews. It is, a difficult subject. THe orthodox sect (like all sects in all religions) obey a very strick intrepration of the Torah. They also believe that anyone who doesnt follow all the laws is not really "kosher" jews. However, I do believe that the process to become an orthodox jew is different if one is a conservative or reform jew then if one is converting from a different religion. Yet there are still some very ardent ultra orthodox jews that do not accept any converts at all. However these are a minority

The problem is that Orthodox rabbis do not consider your mother a Jew. She converted Reform, which is not recognized by the Orthodox. In Orthodoxy's eyes, your father is a Jew and your mother a Gentile, so you are not a Jew.

So, if you really want to be Orthodox, then you will have to convert under their specific rules.

I will say, though, that Jews that have an identity crisis tend to want the approval of the Orthodox. I suggest you understand what that means and how valid it is, before you embark on the process. Will your identity be cemented if you get the approval of your Jewishness by all Jews?

You ARE a Jew according to Reform Judaism. But you're right, Orthodox Judaism only accepts its own conversions. So it's down to whether you accept their version or the Reform version. To me, you're Jewish, as I am - my mother wasn't Jewish, my father was born in an Orthodox Jewish family, and I converted UK Reform. That's just the way it is - Orthodox don't accept Reform conversions. I'd have a good guess that most Christian groups don't accept the conversion of a very different group. So it's down to what matters to you - if you want to be an Orthodox Jew, you'll have to convert, but you're in a very different position from someone converting from Christianity or Islam or no religion - you already know the bulk of what will be expected of you.

Your mother converted to Judaism before you were born, so you are Jewish.

You don't have to "convert", you just go to the synagogue you want to that matches your level of Judaism you desire to live up to.

The issue over conversions has been a sticky one for a long time. The problem is that according to Orthodox, even if Reform were to cover all the techincal requirements (which in many cases they don't)- the people conducting the conversions are not qualified to do so and do not qualify as witnesses. This means that no conversion takes place as valid witnesses are required.

Due to this, according to Orthodox your mother may be a righteous gentile, but she is not Jewish. Since your mother is not considered Jewish, neither are you. According to reform (and to most Conservative communities) you are Jewish. This split is historic and dates back right to the start of the reform movement in the 19the century. In many ways, early Reform was far more liberal than modern Reform and some of theior early decisions were reversed later- but due to the very liberal stance of many of the early Reform leaders, it was seen as a complete break from Judaism by the Jewish authorities at the time; and the Reform movement lacking in any halachic basis or having any legitimacy whatsoever within Judaism. For Reform to survive, they thus instituted their own rules and institutions, including conversion and ordination under their auspices.

You are in the unfortunate position that due to this split part of Judaism will recognise you as Jewish, and part will not. Thus peopel in Reform will tell you that you are Jewish- Orthodox willaccept you as part of the greater Jewish community- but not for religious purposes. If you want that acceptance from Orthodox, you will have to have a valid conversion from an Orthodox Beis Din (Rabbinical court). Unlike what someone stated- the conversion from reform to Orthodox is no different from converting from another religion to Judaism. You have the same syllabus to learn and the same need to demonstrate a commitment to living an observant Jewish life. However, it is often easier for those coming from liberal Judaism into Orthodox as they at leats have an academic understanding of many of the requisite items- even if they have a lot to learn about the details. You will at least know what the various holidays are and some of their symbols- though you will need to learn how Orthodox observes those festivals, the meanings behind them, and what the services are.

Yes- its a journey, but depending on you it cna be a jhoyous one or a long and rocky one- it all depends on how you view it and undertake it.

Back