If I Converted to Judaism, Would I have To Keep Kosher? Which Type?

LauraS

May 21, 2008
For starters, I have never been a religious person. But the more I learn about Jewish culture, and their beliefs, the more I feel like Judaism may be the right religion for me.
I do not eat pork or beef anyway, so those wouldn't be a problem. I prefer the Kosher way of slaughter, so I could concievably eat Kosher chicken, fish and turkey.
There are different forms of Kosher Law, so I'm not even sure *which* Kosher I would be following.
The big moral dilemma for me is with shellfish and seafood. With my Italian heritage, I just don't know if I could eliminate the occasional mussel or scungili.
I would be interested in serious answers.I'm not looking to convert to a more strict order (like Orthodox or Hasidic), but would ultimately need to know if there are any sects of practicing Jews who do not keep Kosher (Passover maybe being the exception)?
Also, would I make a Bat Mitzvah? I'm 33, so long past the age of becoming a woman.

Think about it rationally. Why would god create something detestable to him? It sounds like you need a huge dose of therapy and a nice juicy BLT.

I'm not Jewish so I can only help so much. I believe a Bar Mitzvah is only for young boys. The problem you are having you do not know how Jewish to be. From what I have been led to believe the Orthodox and Hasidic Jews are the ones who follow the Kosher laws 100%. If you want to truly follow Judaism then that is the way to go. However, there are many other varying degrees for you to decide from. Some people only refrain from eating the forbidden foods and then there is a chain going down the line from there each getting a bit stricter. I'm not quite sure on the rules to get into heaven if you're Jewish.

If you convert to Reform then you do not have to keep kosher.

There is only one form of being kosher.

Reform conversions are not recognized by Orthodox and Conservative congregations. This could potentially cause problems for your children -- you should talk to a rabbi about that.

When a woman converts she is automatically a Bat Mitzvah (daughter of the covenant). An additional ceremony is not needed. However, you can choose to have a ceremony (and a party) if you choose.

@k.kid2K..Think about it rationally. Why would God create a poisonous mushroom?

Back