small block chevy crankcase venting issue.?

Dig

Nov 5, 2008
OKAY, Admittedly, I screwed this up. My question is how can I fix it so it won't happen again.

WHAT HAPPENED: I built and installed a 383 stroker motor with Procomp heads, Eagle rods, Scat crank, oversized TPI, etc. I vented the crankcase through a stock PCV valve to the throttle body.
Runs like a scalded dog. Way fun to drive. ('87 IROC)

fast forward a couple years. I started having valve cover leaks.Fixed that, then timing chain cover leaks, then (now) rear main and intake manifold. I'm yanking the motor, and will replace every low pressure seal on it. Talked to a couple engine builders and both said I need more venting.

NOW THE QUESTION: How can I vent this thing good enough to keep this from happening again without just dumping it out a vent screen, or hose?

I was thinking about installing a second cap on the right side valve cover, and venting it into the tube directly in front of the valve body. (I removed the MAF sensor and went to MAP).

Any ideas? I show this car, so I don't want oil film all over everything when I drive it in.
I hate to blame the builder on this. It didn't have any issues till i let it set last winter. When I fired it in the spring is when all the problems started. From the many answers, I might just have a stuck ring from it setting too long. Easy fix possibly there. Can of Marvel and 30 minutes cruising the neighborhood.

Didn't know this before, but a local builder told me these 383's need lots of venting because of the stroke in the small bore diameter.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm going to explore them before I start tearing it out of the car.

Back