Should I buy this 1992 Ford Crown Victoria Convertible from Craigslist? ?

TylerH

Jun 3, 2008
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/953878032.html

Quote Email sent to me from seller about car:
OK, here is the best I can do:

The Car is Automatic (All Crown Vic's are - Or at least come from the factory that way. If I wasn't selling it I would put a 5 speed in)

The Car was my primary transportation for about 4 years, I drove back and forth from Greenville (about a 200 mile round trip) once or twice a week and it never let me down or left me stranded.

I bought it from a guy in Charlotte because I just had to have a 'Cop Car', drove it back to Greenville, and noticed the car had no Oil pressure. LESSON ONE: Cop cars are surplused out becuase they are worn out.

I swapped another police motor into the car, which lasted the next 4 years. LESSON TWO: Crown Vic's were designed to be fleet cars and are very easy to work on, if you have the right tools you can swap an engine out in an afternoon.

Apparently I never learned lesson one or I woudn't have swaped in another police motor becuase after 4 years it blew a head gasket. I bought a $400 beat to crap Toyota pickup to go pick the third motor up with (which is the motor in the car now, a 2002 out of a Civlian Mercury Marque with 61K on it) and about that time the Gas started to get expensive and the Toyota got around 35 MPG so I basicly parked the Vic and drove the Toyota from there on.

When I swaped the motor in I also replaced the radiator with a Heavy duty replacement (correct for the police package). The Current motor (the 2002 motor with 61K on it) runs great, better than either of the police motors that were in the car. I wouldn't hesatate to get in and take it on a 500 mile trip.

Here is the bad news; The transmission shakes. The transmission has shaken since day one, I remember it shaking when I test drove it in Charlotte, I remember it shaking all the way back to Greenville. I attribute this to LESSON ONE (see above) although a transmission shop may be able to flush the fluid or adjust something to clear it up. I don't think it is on it's last leg because I drove it for 4 years with the same shake in it and it never got worse (although it never cleared up either).

If you are a gear head you may already know the 92 Crown Vic came with an AOD-E transmission with Computer Controlled lock-up (AOD-E stands for Automatic OverDrive - Electronic). They only used this transmission for one year and then switched to a totally computer controlled transmission so you can't swap a later model Crown Vic transmission in it because the '92 computer won't control it. You might be able to swap an earlier transmission that requires no computer control (like a C4 or a C6) into it; or perhaps a 5 speed out of a mustang if you are really handy with fabrication. Or you can just leave it be like I did.

Also the 2002 is the PI (Performance Improved) motor which has the factory ported heads and bigger cams in them, I think it is good for about 35 HP over the 92 spec engine.

I love Crown Vics, they are the last American Rear Wheel Drive car that came with a V8 on a full frame. They are fast but don't feel like it cause of the suspension, they drink gas (I think this got 16 MPG no matter what) and you can hide 6 or 7 bodies in the trunk. There is nothing quite like it. I wacked the top off last summer so I could have a convertible and figured I would send it to the scrap yard after I had my fun with it. I just don't have the heart to do it. On a legal note, I got the car inspected the day before I cut the top off (june I think so it is good through june of '09). I don't know if it will pass inspection or not; there is no specific way to fail a car because of 'body work' but who knows? I usually go out in the country (like out to rural Knightdale or Wendell) to get 'questonable' cars inspected.

Anyways, I have run way off track

Yes, the car drives as is; nothing needs to be fixed on it. Shoot me an E-mail or give me a call; I take care of my father part time and don't have a conventional 9-5 job so I am pretty flexible as far as setting up a time to meet. Let me know what is good for you and I will make myself available

Back