Should I buy a Front Wheel Drive or an All Wheel Drive Crossover SUV?

iciamay

Jan 16, 2010
I'm interested in buying a larger CUV, but I'm not exactly sure if I should get the FWD or AWD version. I plan on mostly using it for everyday driving, but I would like to be able to use it to pull and launch ski boats and/or jet skis at lakes and stuff occasionally, some of which may not have concrete launching ramps so it'll need to be able to pull itself out of wet mud. And if I do need the AWD, will that be strong enough to handle situations like that or do I need to maybe get a larger SUV with 4 Wheel Drive to do stuff like that? Like I said, I'm gonna be using it for mostly "soccer mom" purposes so I'd like to stick to a CUV, but I wanna be able to have fun with it every once in a while.

If you are going to launch and pull out boats, I would go with the AWD version unless the boat is real big and heavy, then the 4WD with the low range would be a better choice

I agree with Bob, but I want to elaborate.

The trade-off to getting a bigger, and more expensive, SUV instead of the cheaper, smaller CUV's can give you added security. You know something like a Tahoe would more than be able to suit your needs for towing those things, whereas you would be limited in a CUV. The only reason to be looking into the CUV's is price and/or looks, but since you seem to have some concern about its abilities down the road, play it safe and get a larger SUV with the aforementioned 4WD capabilities if you can afford it.

Back