Should I argue paying this doctor bill?

pickle

May 17, 2008
I had a miscarriage in December, followed by a D & C. After the D & C my bleeding was fairly heavy, but I was under the assumption this was normal. I was always feeling dizzy and I on and off felt like my head had a lot of pressure in it and then my ears started to burn inside. I called my OB to tell him what what going on and he said it sounds like I have a sinus infection, so he called me in a prescription (although I knew this was not correct). That night I stood up to go to bed and had so much blood/clots pooring out of me, to the point where I probably lost 1.5 to 2 pints that night. I was so scared! I drove myself to the hospital (luckly a minute down the street) and the ER doctor told me this was not normal. They did an ultrasound and thought maybe there were still products of conception, but it was hard to tell because there was so much blood in my uterous. They admitted me to the hospital annd I had to have another D & C, done by my OB. After the 15 minute procedure he told me that he didn't find anything. I asked for the paperwork from the hospital (which came a few weeks later) and realized he lied to me, there were products of conception. I know mistakes happen, but this is my body and I needed to know what what going on! The first D & C cost a total of $5500 and the second one was close to $7000. This did not include the $608 for each one from the doctor himself (seems a bit much for $15 of his time)! Do you think I should fight paying the second one after the insurance covers their part (80%)? I just don't see how I should pay for his mistake after I am already getting charged so much from the hospital itself, especially when I was lied too!!! Thoughts?
I am not talking about the hospital bill but the bill from my OB himself. I know it is not the hospitals fault and I have no probalem paying that one.

I would find a good lawyer and see if you can get a free consultation to determine if you have a case for medical malpractice.

If your OB did a D&C in December, you had a reasonable expectation that he would get *all* of the products of conception during the first procedure. This is a fairly common surgery in this day and age, there's really no reason that he should have missed anything.

The fact that he concealed information from you indicates that he was aware that he made a mistake and was trying to cover it up, probably hoping you wouldn't read the paperwork and would instead just accept the bill.

If you can make a case for malpractice or misconduct, you may very well walk away without owing a dime to this doctor.

You might also want to call the hospital billing department and have them direct you to an administrator to discuss this with. It may be that you can skip the middle-man altogether -- some hospitals are so desperate to avoid the publicity associated with malpractice suits that they will find a way to settle with you.

I do believe you should argue and not settle for substandard treatment, especially with a sensitive issue like a miscarriage and *especially* when it could have ruined your fertility, or killed you if you had listened to your OB and not gone into the ER.

Don't mean to boast but I am glad that I live in Canada, we don't get enormous bills for medical treatment. We don't get bills at all, that is just stupid. Our health system may not be the best in the world, but it is adequate and paid for by our taxes (much less than $5000 per year). Argue and fight for your right to be treated as a human being, and you should not be charged for a miscarriage. That is traumatic enough! I cannot believe the crap your country puts you poor people through. I never say this, but maybe you should consider filing a lawsuit.

I tell you I cant stand doctors because like us they are out there trying to make a living but lieing to get paid is wrong if I were you Id look foward into all this call hospital tell them situation if you have doctors information name etc they maybe able to adjust what you said. Because It may been a screw up now after you do that and if they cant work out nothing with you yes Id take it further in that means a lawyer because that is rediculous imagine if you didnt have insurance

Back