Seasonal deliciousness!

waitingeee

Apr 5, 2008
Hey dudes and dude-lettes (Dude-lings? Dude-ls? Dude-zillas?)

Maybe because I haven't seen it being asked, maybe because I'm currently slow cooking some nightmare concoction in the kitchen or maybe I'm secretly fishing for cooking recipes, I wanted to ask:

What's your favourite seasonal dishes? You know, you always see those overly-pretentious chefs talking about how this dish "really warms your insides and allows you to reminisce of happy times in seasonal weather you actually hate to be in but since it's a flashback it's romantic". Also, favourite dish when ill and favourite naughty food?

For me, it'd be:

Spring - Pan fried duck breast with salt and pepper with salad drizzled in olive oil, a hint of soy sauce and served with some crusty fresh multigrain bread and a big dollop of butter. And tomatoes.

Summer - Gammon joint cooked in several litres of coca-cola with cloves, star anise and garlic. Served the next day or the day after in a crusty roll with butter. If you get it right, the meat almost becomes perfumed *drool*.

Autumn - Oven roasted beef joint, rub a load of rosemary, chilli flakes, pepper, salt and some other generic deliciousness over the top, then oven roasted until done. Served with gravy, veggies and a cup of lemon squash. Or a HUGE mug of tea.

Winter - "Dublin Coddle". Basically a massive pot of sausages, bacon, potatoes, onions, pork stock and pepper. Left to stew for hours. Awesome the next day for lunch with a pinch more pepper. Enough to go round for days, so you have to freeze some.

Favourite food when ill - Chilli chicken. Chicken marinated in grated root ginger, diced chillis, crushed garlic cloves, soy sauce, olive oil and hemp seeds. Served with pan fried veg of pretty much any type and medium egg noodles.

Favourite naughty food - "homemade" KFC. Marinade the chicken in some milk, garlic and olive oil. Flour coating made with flour, hemp seeds, chilli powder, pepper, salt, more garlic, rosemary...and that's it. Rolled in the flour several times for a few coats. Deep fried in vegetable oil briefly, then cooked through in the oven for about 17-18 minutes. Served with whatever I want (usually salad and coca-cola).

That or doner kebab with extra chilli and garlic sauce and a large pile of chips.

Where I live there are only 2 seasons, but in the "summer" we get watermelon. I love watermelon. And that's when my mom always made potato salad, so for nostalgia I gotta eat potato salad with my melon. And when we visit Grandma we get to eat blackberries right off the bushes.

I always look forward to pumpkin flavored coffee and fresh pumpkin pie from September - December. I wish pumpkins grew all year.

I don't ever remember eating watermelon actually, it's not really the kind of fruit my parents would buy. That's pretty bad isn't it?

What the hell is pumpkin flavoured coffee?!

But yeah, pumpkin pie and blackberries off the bushes are one of those life experiences everyone has to have. Like climbing trees. You haven't lived until you've done that

What would you serve it with though?

I'm a big fan of the "Philly cheese steak" as per Man Vs Food. You know, big arsed crusty roll, bit of good quality steak, fried onions and melted cheese on top though. None of that "pepperjack" nastiness or "gooey american" for me sir, oh no! I'm a mature cheddar chap myself

It's also one of the only times I can eat cheese. Can't stand the stuff if it hasn't been melted.

Nope, I thought you said alligator

Never had venison. I've had ostrich, but not venison. What's it like?

Absolutely not! I do know that they are horrible shows because I have to listen to them every once in a while when my wife is watching them on her Mac until I yell at her in agony to put her headphones on. That's how I know your pun is as bad as those shows!

OWW!

I was trying to take your comment seriously, then this massive nose came out of the computer screen and poked me in the eye!

To be fair though, Charmed wasn't too bad. I think I've watched pretty much every series. No idea what Supernatural is though.

Ouch! That is heinously bad!

Coffee beans with the hint of pumpkin flavor infused into them. Ordinary coffee smells great, but this smells even better, and tastes great, too. I don't know how it is done. Maybe pumpkin seeds are roasted with coffee beans.

Back