Satin Balls recipe? Anyone ever use it to put weight on their dogs?

Bes

Aug 3, 2008
I have a very picky eater and she will not put weight on. I made the mistake of feeding her table scraps so now she just barely picks at dry dog food. She looks like heck. However her energy level is high and she plays normally with the other dogs. So I know she's not ill.

I don't think you really want to be starting your dog on satin balls. They're meant to be used as a short-term fix only. They're way too high in fat content to be feeding a dog - too much fat causes pancreatitis. Satin balls are primarily used for show dogs if they need to put on a bit of weight very quickly. They don't get fed them for very long.

Your dog's been taught to become a picky eater, so if you start cramming satin balls down her throat, you're going to still be teaching her to be picky. Instead of allowing her to pick at her food, put it down, give her about 20 minutes to eat, then pick it up and don't feed her anything at all until her next meal time that day. No healthy dog will starve itself, so she'll eat once she's really hungry and realizes there won't be anything else coming her way.

Back