Dog lost weight, and isn't gaining it back? Why? Please read for more details!?

BeckyBrown

Jan 20, 2011
I asked a question a few days ago, and if you could read it, it provides most of the details as to what happened:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Avb5DK280.d51J5ZRZS921Xty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110112183836AAVJROq

Also, it was a "scale malfunction" she does weigh 12.5 pounds.

But, basically I switched her food from Wellness Super5mix Chicken over to Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison. And she lost weight. She weighs 12.5 pounds now.
They are now fully switched over to TOTW, and I am feeding her extra food with TOTW, but she is not gaining any weight back. It's been about a month now, since they have been eating this food.
She should weigh at *least* 13 pounds. 13.5 would be better though.
This dog usually weighs 13.5 and is NOT overweight.

She is a 6 1/2 year old spayed female purebred Shih Tzu.
She is really hairy right now, so I don't think even if her ribs were sticking out you wouldn't be able to see them. You can feel her back bone more than you used to it, I mean it's not like it's really sticking out or anything, just that you can feel it more than usual. Her ribs and hips feel the same.

She is not having diarrhea or vomiting. She is acting great and eating and drinking fine. She appears to still be in good health, clean healthy bright eyes, lots of energy, soft shiny coat. Her coat doesn't have flakes or look oily, and she doesn't have a weird odor to her or anything.

I just don't know why she won't gain any weight back. She's not sick anymore. And again this happened to all 4 of my dogs. I am feeding her extra food. She's not getting any more exercise than usual.
I guess I am not feeding her a ton extra food though. She doesn't get any dog treats or human food.

Anyways, I don't know what to do? Should I keep increasing her food? Take her to the Vet?
This dog has never had a problem with her weight before. And as far as I know, my dogs don't have any worms. (No worms in stool or vomit. And all of my other dogs are at the right weight.)

She went last fall to the Vet for a full physical exam and he thought she was very healthy. She has never had any health issues before, gastrointestinal disorders, etc.

Again, she has a reason to loose weight AND she is NOT loosing any more weight, she has maintained her 12.5, it's just that she's not gaining any more.
It's kind of stressful around here lately, new pets, she's been in the kennel a lot more than usual, etc. Could this be why she isn't gaining any weight back?

My questions:
Should I just keep feeding her extra, and maybe human food or something?
Should I take her to a Vet? Again she is acting fine, eats and drinks, and no longer sick.
Could it be from all of the stress lately?
What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Back